Computer Won't Boot After Restoring Image

Hello,

I’ve recently begun using PING (Partimage is not Ghost) imaging software, and it works great with other Linux distros. Upon my first use on openSUSE, I found that I could not restore the image onto another computer. After a successful restoration of the image, I get: “Could not find /dev/mapper/isw_ddedgibjfd_ARRAY_part2
Want to fall back to /dev/mapper/isw_ddedgibjfd_ARRAY_part2? (Y/n)” during the first boot.

I don’t know what to do, I’ve tried taking multiple images, and restoring them on multiple computers, but I always get the same error.

Any thoughts?

On 01/31/2011 09:06 PM, jrebol wrote:
> I don’t know what to do

i believe you need more a PING guru than an openSUSE guru…

i mean, you are certainly welcome to hang out here until someone who
had used PING comes along and finds your post (without “PING” in the
subject) and trys to help…

but, i believe you will have a faster answer if you can find a
gathering of PING users, or maybe their FAQ, or knowledge base and
then find a openSUSE user among them…

http://ping.windowsdream.com/forum/

if you discover that it is in fact an openSUSE bug, please comeback
here and let us know that, and file a bugzilla, here:
http://en.opensuse.org/Submitting_Bug_Reports


DenverD
CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
[NNTP posted w/openSUSE 11.3, KDE4.5.5, Thunderbird3.0.11, nVidia
173.14.28 3D, Athlon 64 3000+]
“It is far easier to read, understand and follow the instructions than
to undo the problems caused by not.” DD 23 Jan 11

On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 20:06:01 +0000, jrebol wrote:

> computer. After a successful restoration of the image, I get: “Could not
> find /dev/mapper/isw_ddedgibjfd_ARRAY_part2 Want to fall back to
> /dev/mapper/isw_ddedgibjfd_ARRAY_part2? (Y/n)” during the first boot.
>
> I don’t know what to do, I’ve tried taking multiple images, and
> restoring them on multiple computers, but I always get the same error.
>
> Any thoughts?

This is because openSUSE uses the DeviceID rather than the device name or
label by default.

In order to fix this, there’s a setting you need to change in YaST (I
forget exactly where it is - I ran into this problem but ended up fixing
it by hand using a recovery disk on the target machines because that was
quicker for the one time I needed to do this).

Jim


Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

@DenverD

I’ve actually read some a few articles online stating something similar to what Jim has written. The problem is actually within openSUSE itself. I will try posting on a PING website as well to see if there are any suggestions there from people who have tried it before, but it isn’t a problem with the imaging software.

@Jim

I’ve read similar posts, but I’ve yet to find anything with a good fix. How exactly did you fix it by hand using the recovery disk?

I’ll poke around YaST to see if I can find anything that looks like a solution to the DeviceID issue…

Thanks for your help!

On 02/01/2011 05:06 AM, jrebol wrote:
> The problem is actually within openSUSE itself.
>
> I’ve yet to find anything with a good fix.

perhaps the level of technical expertise you need is above that of the
‘average’ user here (and here we are users helping users, and next to
zero developers)…

so, i suggest you also pose your question to one of the mail lists, or
the IRC channel, which is where the devs hang out, begin here:

http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Communication_channels

but before i’d suggest you also want to file the bug, here:
http://en.opensuse.org/Submitting_Bug_Reports

or, at the least go there and search for the bug, there may be a
solution/work-around already documented (and if you ask the devs for
an answer already written in bugzilla you might get a chilly reception)

and if you would, for those that follow the google trail to this
thread: come back and let us know the solution (or a trail to the
solution)…thx


DenverD
CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
[NNTP posted w/openSUSE 11.3, KDE4.5.5, Thunderbird3.0.11, nVidia
173.14.28 3D, Athlon 64 3000+]
“It is far easier to read, understand and follow the instructions than
to undo the problems caused by not.” DD 23 Jan 11

On Tue, 01 Feb 2011 04:06:01 +0000, jrebol wrote:

> I’ve read similar posts, but I’ve yet to find anything with a good fix.
> How exactly did you fix it by hand using the recovery disk?

It’s been a little while since I did this, but basically, as I recall, I
had to go in and modify both the device.map and fstab files to point to
the device name (after the fact) rather than to the device-by-id. The
device.map file on my system is in /boot/grub

You could do that before imaging the system and it should “just work”.

In my case, it was SLED I was doing, but SLED is derived from openSUSE,
so the same fix should apply here.

I seem to recall there’s also a setting in YaST (and during installation)
where you can set it up to use device names instead of device IDs, and
that would be the ideal way to handle it.

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

Found a solution!

New default in SLES/SLED 10 SP1: mount “by Device ID”

Pretty simple fix, took less than 5 minutes!

Thanks for all your help!

On Wed, 02 Feb 2011 03:06:02 +0000, jrebol wrote:

> Found a solution!
>
> ‘New default in SLES/SLED 10 SP1: mount “by Device ID”’
> (http://tinyurl.com/47oga38)
>
> Pretty simple fix, took less than 5 minutes!
>
> Thanks for all your help!

Glad to have helped out. :slight_smile:

Jim


Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C