completely new to suse and need help with drivers for radeon HD 6850

Ive been a ubuntu user for about 3 years now, but lately I wanted to find something new. Ubuntu is beginning to feel less and less like “linux”. So anyway I am having a bit of trouble getting my gfx card working in suse. I have a AMD Radeon HD 6850. In ubuntu I just get a popup says that restricted drives are available, and i click to install them. but In suse im not quite sure what to do. I believe I have the drives installed correctly, but I get a AMD watermark in the bottom right corner of my screen saying my hardware is unsupported.

What is the easiest way to get the latest working drivers for my video card? and keep them updated properly with each kernel update like in ubuntu? btw, im running openSUSE 11.4 64-bit.

I know this has been asked before, but im a complete noob to suse and I cant seem to find a answer that im able to understand.

Other than this issue with my graphics driver I love everything else. :slight_smile:

Did you see this
SDB:ATI drivers - openSUSE

Another option:
openSUSE Forums - ATI driver with atiupgrade

OK now I have a bigger issue. I was going to follow the links you posted, but first I wanted to do a fresh install since I messed up the first one pretty good. So I go through the install again, exactly like the first time. However, now when I select openSUSE from GRUB (Desktop or Fail safe) either option brings me to a full screen terminal with a text based log-in prompt. If i log-in here it just gives me a message saying “Have fun” and it sends me to a terminal prompt. I take it X isn’t loading or Im still having driver issues.

I’m really wanting to give openSUSE an honest shot, and I’m trying not to bash it for the issues im having. All distributions seem to be having issues with this card at the moment, however SUSE is the only distribution where I have yet to get this card working, and now I cant even get into my fresh install.

I really hope someone can lend a hand here. I really want to get into this new distro, but maybe Im just a little lost. Its a pretty big difference between Ubuntu/LinuxMint and openSUSE.

Did you do a clean install ? or an update install ?

Did you keep an old /home partition, which may have some destkop settings that don’t properly work ? If so, and if special desktop effects are inappropriately active, there is a way to disable them (I need to check my notes at home to pass that on to you).

As long as it was a CLEAN install, with a new /home then FailSafe boot should work ? (ie it should load the FBDEV graphic driver which works with almost everything). But if you did an update, or if you kept a /home with bad desktop settings, you could have a mess on your hands.

Another way to check if this is a /home problem is to login to the full screen terminal. Type 'su - ’ to switch to root permissions. Then type ‘yast’ to launch the ncurses/text mode YaST, and using the TAB, SPACE, ARROWS, ENTER, keys, navigate through YasT to create a new user. Then try to login as the new user. If that works, then you know bad settings in your old /home has caused this.

OK…I feel like im almost there. I did another completely fresh install, this time making absolutely sure that I formatted all the partitions. So that went just as well as the first time, and now im back in the openSUSE KDE desktop.

Now, I followed the first link provided by caf4926, and followed the instructions for installing the driver through Yast. The driver seemed to have installed, I now have the ATI CCC, I can run my dual monitors and everything. However I am having one last major issue, the performance is so slow that when I move a window, like dolphin or Firefox for example, I can literally watch it redraw as I move it. I haven’t seen that happen since I was running Windows98 on my 233MHz Pentium II. Also the panel at the bottom of the screen is not transparent, its a gray gradient.

I plan on using 3D in Wine so I need my graphics card running properly.

Almost there…can anyone help with the last little bit?

Can you please post your /etc/X11/xorg.conf ? Execute the following command:

cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Then copy/paste the output.