Compiz and KDE in 11.2

Choice - True!
But it’s KDE that has implemented it’s own desktop effects, not openSUSE. If we choose not to use native KDE effects and opt for Compiz, then we have to live with what that means.
Currently it means we:

1. Stick with kwin - Native KDE
  2. Follow Ian’s guide and drop 11.1 repos in with 11.2 to get Compiz (Not recommended)
  3. Install Compiz as allowed by the default install and accept along with it a chunk of Gnome Desktop packages.
  4. Do a custom install from source or other 3rd party repo’s.

As for third party repos you could give this a try LINK.

This repo has the latest compiz rpms although I have not tried them but holpefully they work ok.

**I am using compiz in my opensuse 11.2 with kde k.3.3 and its working pretty fine.
First install your graffic card drivers.

all you have to do is update your kde to 4.3.3 version:

add the repo:
download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/43/openSUSE_11.2/**

and so update all kde packages in yast.

now add the repo:

download.opensuse.org/repositories/X11:/XGL/openSUSE_11.2/

and install compiz components, emerald, fusion-icon, etc…

if you use kde, put a link to fusion icon in the folder:

/home/your_user_name_/.kde4/Autostart

so, fusion-icon will activate compiz for you when kde starts.

(instal elements too, a very nice plugin, search in google for elements compiz)

What more you can say is nothing at all. You using KWin for whatever reason has no bearing on the topic being discussed. The OP requested information on a possible fix not on your opinion.

It works now, yesterday that repository was missing the compiz-kde4 package, thus forcing kde users to use the compiz-gnome package which pulled in a lot of gnome dependencies. Seriously though, just use the one click installer (usually not recommended as it can clutter repositories, but if used right then they’re pretty handy), and if you’re using compiz with emerald you can do all that stuff without adding links and stuff. I’m updating the wiki and am about to write a how-to. Thanks for the quick how-to and letting us know everything’s working :slight_smile:

What more you can say is nothing at all. You using KWin for whatever reason has no bearing on the topic being discussed. The OP requested information on a possible fix not on your opinion.

The fact that you wasted a message pointing that out also has no bearing on the topic being discussed. Let’s keep this civilized?

Take Care

Ian

I’m sorry, I realized you had a different repository listed. I’ve updated the wiki to reflect this change. Thank you for finding this repository!

I’ve also made a how-to which can be found here:

Installing and Configuring Compiz - openSUSE Forums

Take Care,

Ian