Compiling a kernel module

What dependencies do I need (other then the kernel source and gcc) in order to compile a kernel module?

a

depends:
you didn’t give us much to go on

make
gcc
kernel-source
kernel-syms (maybe)

or you could just add the base development under software management - Patterns

I guess more info should have been listed in the original post.
I’d like to compile this project on my system.
http://aufs.sourceforge.net/

If you scroll down to point #3 Configuration and Compilation, you will get more details.

So do I need more then what caf4926 mentioned?

AFAIK that’s all you *should * need. give it a go & if it throws a wobbly, just post the errors here

Andy

Tried compiling… Got some errors…

# make -f local.mk
fs/aufs25
make CONFIG_AUFS=m AUFS_EXTRA_CFLAGS="-I /data/aufs.wcvs/aufs/include -DCONFIG_AUFS_BRANCH_MAX_127 -DCONFIG_AUFS_SYSAUFS -DCONFIG_AUFS_INO_T_64 -DCONFIG_AUFS_RR_SQUASHFS -DCONFIG_AUFS_BR_XFS -DCONFIG_AUFS_DEBUG -DCONFIG_AUFS_MAGIC_SYSRQ -DCONFIG_AUFS_LOCAL -DCONFIG_AUFS_MODULE -UCONFIG_AUFS -DLKTRHidePrePath=\\\"/data/aufs.wcvs/aufs/fs/aufs25\\\"" -C /lib/modules/2.6.25.18-0.2-xen/build M=/data/aufs.wcvs/aufs/fs/aufs25 modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.25.18-0.2-obj/x86_64/xen'
make -C /usr/src/linux-2.6.25.18-0.2 O=/usr/src/linux-2.6.25.18-0.2-obj/x86_64/xen/. modules
  CC [M]  /data/aufs.wcvs/aufs/fs/aufs25/module.o
/data/aufs.wcvs/aufs/fs/aufs25/module.c:180:2: warning: #warning CONFIG_AUFS_SYSAUFS is unnecessary for linux-2.6.25 and later.
  CC [M]  /data/aufs.wcvs/aufs/fs/aufs25/super.o
  CC [M]  /data/aufs.wcvs/aufs/fs/aufs25/sbinfo.o
  CC [M]  /data/aufs.wcvs/aufs/fs/aufs25/branch.o
  CC [M]  /data/aufs.wcvs/aufs/fs/aufs25/xino.o
  CC [M]  /data/aufs.wcvs/aufs/fs/aufs25/sysaufs.o
  CC [M]  /data/aufs.wcvs/aufs/fs/aufs25/opts.o
  CC [M]  /data/aufs.wcvs/aufs/fs/aufs25/wkq.o
  CC [M]  /data/aufs.wcvs/aufs/fs/aufs25/vfsub.o
/data/aufs.wcvs/aufs/fs/aufs25/vfsub.c: In function ‘do_vfsub_symlink’:
/data/aufs.wcvs/aufs/fs/aufs25/vfsub.c:144: warning: passing argument 3 of ‘vfs_symlink’ from incompatible pointer type
/data/aufs.wcvs/aufs/fs/aufs25/vfsub.c:144: warning: passing argument 4 of ‘vfs_symlink’ makes pointer from integer without a cast
/data/aufs.wcvs/aufs/fs/aufs25/vfsub.c:144: error: too few arguments to function ‘vfs_symlink’
/data/aufs.wcvs/aufs/fs/aufs25/vfsub.c: In function ‘do_vfsub_mknod’:
/data/aufs.wcvs/aufs/fs/aufs25/vfsub.c:161: warning: passing argument 3 of ‘vfs_mknod’ makes pointer from integer without a cast
/data/aufs.wcvs/aufs/fs/aufs25/vfsub.c:161: error: too few arguments to function ‘vfs_mknod’
/data/aufs.wcvs/aufs/fs/aufs25/vfsub.c: In function ‘do_vfsub_link’:
/data/aufs.wcvs/aufs/fs/aufs25/vfsub.c:180: warning: passing argument 2 of ‘vfs_link’ from incompatible pointer type
/data/aufs.wcvs/aufs/fs/aufs25/vfsub.c:180: warning: passing argument 3 of ‘vfs_link’ from incompatible pointer type
/data/aufs.wcvs/aufs/fs/aufs25/vfsub.c:180: error: too few arguments to function ‘vfs_link’
/data/aufs.wcvs/aufs/fs/aufs25/vfsub.c: In function ‘do_vfsub_rename’:
/data/aufs.wcvs/aufs/fs/aufs25/vfsub.c:207: warning: passing argument 3 of ‘vfs_rename’ from incompatible pointer type
/data/aufs.wcvs/aufs/fs/aufs25/vfsub.c:207: warning: passing argument 4 of ‘vfs_rename’ from incompatible pointer type
/data/aufs.wcvs/aufs/fs/aufs25/vfsub.c:207: error: too few arguments to function ‘vfs_rename’
/data/aufs.wcvs/aufs/fs/aufs25/vfsub.c: In function ‘do_vfsub_mkdir’:
/data/aufs.wcvs/aufs/fs/aufs25/vfsub.c:225: warning: passing argument 3 of ‘vfs_mkdir’ makes pointer from integer without a cast
/data/aufs.wcvs/aufs/fs/aufs25/vfsub.c:225: error: too few arguments to function ‘vfs_mkdir’
/data/aufs.wcvs/aufs/fs/aufs25/vfsub.c: In function ‘do_vfsub_rmdir’:
/data/aufs.wcvs/aufs/fs/aufs25/vfsub.c:242: error: too few arguments to function ‘vfs_rmdir’
/data/aufs.wcvs/aufs/fs/aufs25/vfsub.c: In function ‘do_vfsub_unlink’:
/data/aufs.wcvs/aufs/fs/aufs25/vfsub.c:259: error: too few arguments to function ‘vfs_unlink’
/data/aufs.wcvs/aufs/fs/aufs25/vfsub.c: In function ‘call_notify_change’:
/data/aufs.wcvs/aufs/fs/aufs25/vfsub.c:497: warning: passing argument 2 of ‘notify_change’ from incompatible pointer type
/data/aufs.wcvs/aufs/fs/aufs25/vfsub.c:497: error: too few arguments to function ‘notify_change’
make[4]: *** [/data/aufs.wcvs/aufs/fs/aufs25/vfsub.o] Error 1
make[3]: *** [_module_/data/aufs.wcvs/aufs/fs/aufs25] Error 2
make[2]: *** [sub-make] Error 2
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.25.18-0.2-obj/x86_64/xen'
make: *** [fs/aufs25/aufs.ko] Error 2

Any thoughts on where to go from here?