Compatibility with Intel's GMA4500

Greeteengs forum… First of all I need to say that I’m not new to Linux. I have used Salix OS, Slackware, Debian, Ubuntu and Arch linux and they were very good for my desktop computer… But now I’ve purchased eMachines E725 with Intel’s GMA4500 integrated graphics! The problem with other distros is that my background light is turned off. IMO this is a kernel bug, because it affects all the distros I’ve tried so far. I’ve found a fix:

setpci -s 00:02.0 F4.B=00

This command sets my brightness to 100%. You can imagine how this is annoying… because i need to run this command after every sleep, hibernation, screensaver etc… And finding a terminal icon while the brightness is 0% is like finding a needle in haystack!

Can someone tell will this affect my laptop if I install openSUSE 12.1 in 2 weeks when it comes out? I’ve heard that openSUSE is best distro for laptops. True/False/Partialy true?

Thank you, and cheers :wink:

I wonder if this thread is any use to you
Linux Kernel 3.1 RCX has Been Released To Test - Post Your Comments Here! - Page 8

openSUSE is certainly great
I think to say ‘Best’ would be subjective

Well… I’ve tried with acpi_backlight=vendor on several other distros and it didn’t work for me. Who knows, maybe I’ll be more lucky with the new kernel! :smiley:
Thank you caf4926 for your reply!

How about assigning a hot key (as a work around ) ? [where the key(s) can be found easily by feel]

And you don’t find annoying that every time my computer boots up, reboots, sleeps, hibernates and even when screensaver turns on I have pres a hotkey for terminal, and then input su and then my password and then setpci -s 00:02.0 F4.B=00!? Yeah not annoying at all! In Slackware and Debian based distros I’ve put that command in rc.local so it’s executed on boot but everything else is annoying. Plus my screen brightness is always at 100%, Fn keyes and screen brightness applet don’t work… So if I’m on my battery it runs out after 2-3 hours. To set brightnes to some other value this needs to be done:

setpci -s 00:02.0 F4.B=hv

where hv is hexa value of larger number than 00!
As I stated before… not annoying at all!

ahh you don’t retype setpci etc etc etc … you put everything that needs to run in a batch that is launched by the hot key.

You just press the hot key. It launches the batch file that does everything.

Annoying ? Of course. But if I knew the solution to your problem I would tell you. Obviously. And so I am providing the best suggestion I can. Go ahead ! Go ignore my suggestion and continue be annoyed for having to type many things … pci etc etc etc every time. That your call.

But if it was me I would do everything I could to minimize the annoyance until I found a solution. I would not make sarcastic posts.

My understand also, is IF one can get such a batch file to work, then instead of launching it via a Hot Key, one can identify the file that is launched when the PC comes out of sleep/hibernation mode, and have that file launch the batch file. But it makes more sense to test it many times via a hot key BEFORE hacking at the post sleep/hibernation config file. And NO I do not know the name / location of that file off the top of my head, but I do know it exists.

Same here… :\

I won’t ignore your suggestion… i didn’t even know you could run batch file via hot keys. I’m sorry for my sarcasm but i missunderstood your first post regarding the hot keys. Sorry again, and thank you for your suggestion! Cheers :smiley: