Comparison between Dropbox and SpiderOak?

I’m a Dropbox user, using it between Windows and Linux, work and home, laptop and desktop and browser.

SpiderOak had (or still has) some promotion or included package with openSUSE (or so I thought, I am not sure if 12.1 has it).

Is there anyone who uses or has used both that can compare the difference between them? Is SpiderOak better integrated, faster, easier? Does SpiderOak have a browser-based interface? Would love it if it included Sync-over-LAN!!

I’m curious about SpiderOak and if there is any particular advantage. The only down-side I see with Dropbox is that there isn’t an “official” KDE version for openSUSE (I use kFileBox instead).

I’m trying to keep from downloading and installing yet another technology, without having an idea of what advantages to look for.

So far, the first thing I see is the reliance on the installed SpiderOak software, and lack of full navigation/access via a web browser. I’m not saying this is a bad thing, just this if the first thing I noticed.

I had to download the .RPM from SpiderOak website for openSUSE because I could not find it in the repos. Not sure if there is a SpiderOak repo I should have added (probably… but oh, well).

I should have paid more attention, though, because when I tried to install the RPM it had to pull in a lot of packages (and I mean a lot). Unfortunately I don’t remember which ones it had to, or how much did I need to download, just that it took long enough I went to bed.

I will have to dig around and see what is the difference between “backup” and “file sync”, which I would suspect compression being one.

AFAIK, Spideroak provides encrypted cloud storage - everything on Dropbox isn’t encrypted (although you could encrypt it yourself).

My understanding is that SpiderOak encrypts the data before is it sent “up” to their servers, while Dropbox encrypts the data on their servers but the transmission is not encrypted and they hold the keys.

This allows Dropbox to be more accessible in a variety of means (client, shared, web, etc.) at the expense of pre-upload encryption security so it ultimately comes down to what is more important to you.

Some people focus on the security, while others with accessibility. At least there is one for each of them! :slight_smile:

On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 14:06:02 +0000, dragonbite wrote:

> I’m curious about SpiderOak and if there is any particular advantage.

I’ve just tried it and found the space calculator was quite barmy. I
found that it categorises all files as music, movies and (rather than
“or”) pictures so that space estimate is already trebled. It then uses
the quaint idea that a kilobyte is 1,000 bytes instead of 1,024. Added
together, these mean the space estimate is about 3.2 times as big as that
actually used by the data.

When the data is saved, the space reverts to a “true” value - apart from
the 1000/1024 error - though my test archive of a group of pictures was
categorised as “music!”

None of the above is a real problem though the mini-kilobyte feature
means you’ll have to start paying for data-storage a little earlier than
you’d expect. I was considering using it for backing up my home folder
but it would cost me as much as buying a new hard drive every year.

Graham Davis, Bracknell, Berks.
openSUSE 12.1 (64-bit); KDE 4.7.4; AMD Phenom II X2 550 Processor;
Video: nVidia GeForce 210 (using nouveau driver);
Sound: ATI SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA); Wireless: BCM4306