Comment on 11.4 install from live CD

This is just a comment, not a complaint or a request for help.

I tried installing 11.4 from the live CD on a new motherboard (ASRock N68C-S UCC) and the very first screen (license agreement) comes out so garbled that I can not read anything from it. I tried to run rather then install from the live CD, with the same result.

Hitting F3 and changing the resolution to 800x600 still did not fix this.

I find it surprising, because I would expect the installation process to use low quality graphics and therefore not be too bothered about the specifics of the graphics chipset (NVidia GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a in this case).

For reference the machine has 1 GB ram.

There is no such problem with the 11.3 live CD, which is what I ended up using. So no problem in terms of getting the PC up and running.

Abe

Same problem here. AMD chip with onboard nVidia graphics.
I managed to install with the F4 “no acpi” selected. In live session this gave me poor but readable graphics & internet connection. After install I had to run the No ACPI boot option to get a readable desktop but doing that loses me all internet connection both wired and wireless. Thus I can’t download the/an nVidia driver for my set up.
Ubuntu 11.04, Kubuntu 11.04, Fedora 15 have no such problems on this machine.

Help?

Sounds like the default video driver is not working. You might need to add in the kernel load option of nomodeset, just before the kernel is loaded. There was a change in the video driver(s) between openSUSE 11.3 and 11.4, which is part of the kernel version as opposed to something done in the distribution (kernel 2.6.34 in 11.3 compared to kernel 2.6.37 in 11.4). There are constant improvements being made in the kernel video system, but companies like nVIDIA keep their source code closed (they do supply proprietary video drivers you can load into non-live openSUSE installations) and so driver support is often reversed engineered with an occasional regression between kernel versions.

Thank You,

On 06/26/2011 03:06 PM, naimab wrote:
>
> This is just a comment, not a complaint or a request for help.

i can’t imagine why you post to this help forum and not ask for help,
unless you feel like you are telling the developer community about a
problem you had, and hope they fix it in 12.1, so you are stuck in 11.3…

was that your idea? if so, this is not the place to log
problems/bugs…this is a forum of users helping users…by and large
the developers do NOT come here…and, when/if they do it is not to
just wonder around looking for bugs to fix…

instead there is a bug reporting system and i ask you to report your but
to it, begin here: http://tinyurl.com/nzhq7j

let me put that a little different way: if you don’t report it, and no
one else reports it, it will probably be 12.2 or later before it gets
fixed…

free software is not free to everyone–please put in the effort required
to log the bug…thanks!!

DD
-Caveat-Hardware-Software-

On 06/26/2011 03:36 PM, siabost wrote:
>
> Same problem here.

there is no way anyone can help you, unless you are saying you have an
ASRock N68C-S UCC, a NVidia GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a, and 1 GB ram and
11.3 installs with no problem

> Ubuntu 11.04, Kubuntu 11.04, Fedora 15 have no such problems on this
> machine.

log your bug and use what works…maybe 12.1 will rock your world…

oh, by the way: Did you proof test the install disk by doing this before
the install: http://tinyurl.com/2ebcf27 if not that might be your
problem (a garbled install disk)…

DD
-Caveat-Hardware-Software-

Thanks jdmcdaniel3, “nomodeset” got me to the desktop but still no network - wired or wireless.
openSUSE 11.4 is loading the Nouveau driver for 2D & swrast (no 3d acceleration)(7.10) for 3D!
The kernel loaded is 2.6.37.1-1.2-default i686 (this compares with 2.6.38-8-generic #42 Ubuntu on my Kubuntu Live CD which gives me wireless internet connectivity but fails to connect on the wired ethernet interface).

DenverD:
Processor: 2xAMD Athlon 7750
Ethernet: nVidia MCP61
Graphics: nVidia GeForce 6150SE (onboard)

I have tried two entirely different Magazine installation DVDs - both give exactly the same result. At 4.7GB, I’ve not tried a direct download yet.
Having run this PC on various distros (mainly Ubuntu) over the last 2 years, I am aware that I need the nVidia proprietary driver for proper 3D support. In order to do this, though, I need to have an internet connection. After that I’m sure all would be fine.
It’s a problem we have across many Linux Distros in that the new improved versions sometimes don’t correctly recognise (or cope with) hardware that proved no problem in previous versions.
I have tried openSUSE in the past but always reverted to Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Mandriva. Having successfully tried the latest 11.4 on my Sony laptop, I really liked it and it’s configuration of KDE4.6. However, on such a relatively new Desktop I want to run a current and up-to-date distro so going back a step to 11.3 is not an option.

If my problem turns out to be a bug I will certainly log it including any work-around that the openSUSE forum folks help discover.

Thanks jdmcdaniel3, “nomodeset” got me to the desktop but still no network - wired or wireless.
openSUSE 11.4 is loading the Nouveau driver for 2D & swrast (no 3d acceleration)(7.10) for 3D!
The kernel loaded is 2.6.37.1-1.2-default i686 (this compares with 2.6.38-8-generic #42 Ubuntu on my Kubuntu Live CD which gives me wireless internet connectivity but fails to connect on the wired ethernet interface).

DenverD:
Processor: 2xAMD Athlon 7750
Ethernet: nVidia MCP61
Graphics: nVidia GeForce 6150SE (onboard)

I have tried two entirely different Magazine installation DVDs - both give exactly the same result. At 4.7GB, I’ve not tried a direct download yet.
Having run this PC on various distros (mainly Ubuntu) over the last 2 years, I am aware that I need the nVidia proprietary driver for proper 3D support. In order to do this, though, I need to have an internet connection. After that I’m sure all would be fine.
It’s a problem we have across many Linux Distros in that the new improved versions sometimes don’t correctly recognise (or cope with) hardware that proved no problem in previous versions.
I have tried openSUSE in the past but always reverted to Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Mandriva. Having successfully tried the latest 11.4 on my Sony laptop, I really liked it and it’s configuration of KDE4.6. However, on such a relatively new Desktop I want to run a current and up-to-date distro so going back a step to 11.3 is not an option.

If my problem turns out to be a bug I will certainly log it including any work-around that the openSUSE forum folks help discover.

It can be frustrating when hardware devices do not work, particularly between versions. You would think a newer version would do better. However, the best we can do here is to attack each problem one at a time and for a particular version and desktop of openSUSE. If you can, I would most likely drop down a version so that you could download the 64 bit DVD of openSUSE 11.4. You might even consider a dual boot setup, though Ubuntu uses Grub2 while openSUSE 11.4 uses Grub Legacy which can create other odd issues for you. While there are lots of us that think openSUSE is the best and pity those that can’t use it, there is no shame in using what works for you, no matter the version or Linux distribution it may be. As always, we do the best we can here to provide help if you are able to pose the problem online.

Thank You,

Hi jdmcdaniel3,
I’m too long in the Linux tooth to be put off by a few hardware issues - considering the extremely patchy support given to Linux by the hardware manufacturers. I believe we’re very lucky in the Linux community to have such a surfeit of choice re Distros.
I will download the 64bit 11.4 Version at work tomorrow - better download speed :slight_smile:
Meanwhile, I’ve installed Kubuntu 11.04 which identifies the latest proprietary nVidia driver for my graphics hardware so that info will be useful.
In openSUSE, would I have to download the nVidia driver directly from the nVidia website or is there an “Additional Drivers” search feature as in Ubuntu?

Much thanks for your help & assistance.

DenverD, the reason I posted my comment to the forum was to try and see whether others have experienced a similar problem and perhaps found a quick fix for it.

I am perfectly aware that this is not a bug reporting forum, and I was not looking for someone to thank me for saving the opensuse community. I am happy to report the bug as you suggested, and I am grateful for the support I have been getting on this forum for the past few years.

The issues with nVidia appear to be numerous, and I know that the development team are doing their best to cope with it.

One last note: the installation CD is not garbled because it gave perfectly readable screens on a different motherboard.

Abe

Hi jdmcdaniel3,
I’m too long in the Linux tooth to be put off by a few hardware issues - considering the extremely patchy support given to Linux by the hardware manufacturers. I believe we’re very lucky in the Linux community to have such a surfeit of choice re Distros.
I will download the 64bit 11.4 Version at work tomorrow - better download speed :slight_smile:
Meanwhile, I’ve installed Kubuntu 11.04 which identifies the latest proprietary nVidia driver for my graphics hardware so that info will be useful.
In openSUSE, would I have to download the nVidia driver directly from the nVidia website or is there an “Additional Drivers” search feature as in Ubuntu?

Much thanks for your help & assistance.

There are three methods to install the driver, 1-Click, repository and the hard way. Each has their plus and minuses, but I use the hard way so that I might have the very most recent version loaded. Here is a link to a bash script file that is helpful in loading the driver:

LNVHW - Load NVIDIA (driver the) Hard Way from runlevel 3 - Version 1.10 - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

Thank You,