Command Not Found

Hi,

I’m a newbie in opensuse.
I already have opensuse in my pc.
I tried to install the ASUS USB wireless adapter.
I figured out ASUS used Ralink chipset so that it can’t use Yast to install the USB driver (correct me if i’m wrong).
So I tried to install it manually using the kernel.

I followed the instruction step by step.
But that are certain commands not found.
I tried to find the solutions but unfortunately I did not get the answer
since I’m not sure what is the actual problem.

This is the example:

zahian@linux-9h2w:~> $tar -xvzf RT2870_Linux_STA_V2.3.0.0.bz2
If ‘-xvzf’ is not a typo you can use command-not-found to lookup the package that contains it, like this:
cnf -xvzf
zahian@linux-9h2w:~> cnf -xvzf
-xvzf: command not found
zahian@linux-9h2w:~>

I figured out ASUS used Ralink chipset so that it can’t use Yast to install the USB driver (correct me if i’m wrong).
So I tried to install it manually using the kernel.

1. Can you tell us more about your wireless chipset?
/sbin/lspci -nnk

Post the lines concerning your wireless device only.

1. What version of openSUSE are you using?

This may help someone to direct you to openSUSE packages.

In general, it is best to avoid installing and/or compiling via tarballs when openSUSE RPM packages are available, but to shed some light on your ‘missing’ utilities, you might need to install the ‘tar’ package first. To check whether tar utility (command) is installed, you can type

whereis tar

or query whether tar package is installed

rpm -qa |grep tar

If not, you can install via terminal with

zypper in tar

(Note: you will need to be root first with 'su - ’ command, enter root password when prompted).

tar is on the system by default, but he typed it in as $tar, which expands to nothing so the next word became the command: -xvzf.

However I second the suggestion to look for a package first. Compiling a kernel module from source is not something I would recommend for newbies.

tar is on the system by default, but he typed it in as $tar, which expands to nothing so the next word became the command: -xvzf.

Thanks. I missed the OP’s typo, (although I could see that they were getting themselves further confused with command responses). :slight_smile:

And that would be:

tar -xvjf RT2870_Linux_STA_V2.3.0.0.bz2

because the source is compressed with bzip2.