cntl-alt-backspace solves a non-working KDE but the problem is back on reboot

It’s a fresh install

The menu and desktop short cuts are unresponsive until I kill the X server and restart (other stuff works)

I’ve tried to cure it by deleting .kde4 but this does not solve the problem

I’ve always steered away from fiddling with the X server, so have little experience of playing with it, but I assume there must be a corrupt config file?

Confusingly, IceWM works

Any advice gratefully received, thank you

no, it doesn’t, not before cntl-alt-backspace

and I cannot preserve my system keyboard settings - they revert to English (US) after every reboot after editing

YaST->System->Language and YaST->Hardware->System Keyboard Layout (it was set to UK already, so I set it to something else first).

/etc/sysconfig/language reports

# Local users will get RC_LANG as their default language, i.e. the
# environment variable $LANG . $LANG is the default of all $LC_*-variables,
# as long as $LC_ALL is not set, which overrides all $LC_-variables.
# Root uses this variable only if ROOT_USES_LANG is set to "yes".
#
RC_LANG="en_GB.UTF-8"

/etc/sysconfig/keyboard

# Keyboard mapping
# (/usr/share/kbd/keymaps/)
# e.g. KEYTABLE="de-latin1-nodeadkeys", "us" or empty for US settings
#
KEYTABLE=""

.kde4 is not where current or recent versions of Plasma store much of anything. Plasma5 settings are mostly in ~/.config/, mixed up with many other personal settings. Your problem suggests to me a permissions problem in your homedir. If you login as a new user, is the trouble the same?

Thank you replying and yes I thought .kde4 was a bit suspect

Your problem suggests to me a permissions problem in your homedir. If you login as a new user, is the trouble the same?

You are right a new user doesn’t seem to experience the same problems.

I am unsure why it is a permissions problem and why it is temporarily cured by killing the X server.

I need to double check but if I log in as new user then log in as “me” I don’t seem to get the KDE problems but the keyboard is still US

thanks to your hint I found out a bit more where Plasma 5 stores “stuff”

in

home/[me]/.local/share/kded5/keyboard/session 

I found

layout_memory.xml 

and it contains

<LayoutMap SwitchMode="Global" version="1.0"><item currentLayout="gb"/></LayoutMap>

but it is not being applied