Clone a drive to USB then restore it on new hard drive?

Hi all,

I have a noisy 80GB hard drive in my headless server.

I just bought a 1TB hard drive that I would like to put in place of the 80GB.

However, I don’t have a second SATA cable to plug the two of them at the same time.

I thought I would clone the 80GB onto a USB drive, replace the hard drive and restore from the USB drive onto the new drive.

I understand this has to do with the dd command but how can I plug in a USB hard drive and check if it is recognised by the system? Also, I’m not sure how to proceed with the dd command…

Thanks for your help,

I forgot to add I was booting from a LiveCD of openSUSE 12.2 to do the cloning

Try clonzilla, it will compress the image so if the usb drive is smaller then 80G it may fit.

I am trying to make it work but I have no display available, it doesn’t boot unattended and sshd is not running by default. I’m looking for a LiveCD that could be loaded without having to enter anything and listen on ssh so I can take over

On 2012-09-27 05:16, ShaolinSatellite wrote:
>
> I am trying to make it work but I have no display available, it doesn’t
> boot unattended and sshd is not running by default. I’m looking for a
> LiveCD that could be loaded without having to enter anything and listen
> on ssh so I can take over

Remove the drive and plug it as second drive on another computer. Or put a head temporarily.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.1 x86_64 “Asparagus” at Telcontar)

err buy a cable? $2.00?
15CM 0.5M SATA to S-ATA Data Adapter Cable For HDD DVD-RW Motherboard Connector | eBay

I eventually booted the LiveCD of clonezilla into a virtual machine to see what keys should be pressed and when to enable dhcp and ssh, then reproduced the sequence on the headless computer. And it worked.