clock not showing correctly the time

I have this problem for a while but didn’t notice it until lately(i did reboot the machine for few months). Now that i reboot it frequently i notice that the clock is always not what is supposed to be. I’m in Toronto, Canada so it should be GMT -5:00. Sometimes it shows GMT-6, sometimes -10, now is GMT -11. Anyone would know why i have this issue? I’m running Suse11.1 on a 64 bit. My laptop which runs on 32 bit is working fine.(well probably different versions for kernel and kde.(whatever was in th repository to be updated i updated)
2.6.27.39-0.2-default
Version 4.3.4 (KDE 4.3.4) “release 2”
Anyone would know what do i need to do? is not that critical(as i have this issue for a while but it is annoying sometimes)
thank you

Maybe the BIOS battery is low. If you did not run for some tine. There is a battery which keeps the clock running when turned off.

Also is it dual boot? If so Windows expect the hardware clock to be at local time where as by default Linux expects UTC but can be changed in Yast

Agree with gogalthorp. What is output of

cat /etc/sysconfig/clock

Yes and that could mean a critical issue that has no warning whatsoever except the clock being off.
But lets not jump the gun on that.
But clock issues are bad news so I heard.

Using a ntp server to sync with is often convenient, especially when connecting to time sensitive services like kerberos (for example in Windows AD).

Configure /etc/ntp or use the Yast frontend for ntp

also see:
man ntpd

Thank you for replies.It is a dual machine. I did use the machine for a long time (7-8 yrs), but didn’t reboot it that often. I started to reboot it daily now and noticed the problem. It might be that the BIOS battery is low because the machine is old. Should I try to change the battery maybe?
here are the relevant info for the command:
cat /etc/sysconfig/clock

HWCLOCK="–localtime"
SYSTOHC=“yes”
TIMEZONE=“America/Toronto”
DEFAULT_TIMEZONE=“US/Eastern”
I should look into the ntp also via Yast and see if it makes any difference. Please let me know what should i do about the battery? if i take it off then the bios would be flushed? not sure exactly what would happen, but that’s my understanding. how do i avoid that?

How to replace the CMOS battery.

looks like a good set of instructions. Note that you need to write down the BIOS settings before doing it!

You will not lose the BIOS just the current settings.:wink:

It is always good to check with the mother/main board manufacturer before doing surgery. But It can be hard to pry the info out particularly for older equipment.

So I got some bigger issues now and hope that someone can help me. Yesterday a new kernel was pushed to be updated. I think is (2.6.27.42-0.1) that’s the one when i go uname -r. Anyway i realized after awhile that the computer froze and i had to hard booted from the power bar. I booted this morning and it doesn’t find some partitions so it cannot be booted. I decided to change the battery since that was the problem i had and it ought that that would be the case but no luck. I have two drives on the machine which have multiple partitions some of them for XP which are just there and used as space by Suse and then the Suse partitions and the XP(Until i get rid completely of it, just too lazy to do it). From the XP i can see both harddisks and all the XP partitions, but when try to boot from linux it doesn’t get me to it. It tries to get to the partitions where it has the home ( I think and it cannot and then it is exiting to /bin/sh)
Being here i don’t know what should i do to debug or get to the next stage. i cannot find the file /var/log/messages as it doesn’t exist(or maybe i don’t have rights? as i’m not in as admin or user?) i have the bin,boot,etc,config,lib,root,var,usr,sys i think all the the directories but I do not know how to move further or debug. Any help would be appreciated.

Start a new thread for this issue you will get more help