Clean up orphaned files?

What is the best way to try and clean up orphaned files in openSUSE 11.2 gnome? My understanding is there is not a zypper command for this.

thanks for suggestions…I’m trying to lean out the system.

What do you mean by ‘orphaned files’ in Gnome?

like unused dependencies of programs that have been installed and later uninstalled that are no longer needed by anything. Unused config files, that sort of thing.

Normally when you remove a package, zypper will remove other packages that that packages depends on, as far as they are not needed by another package, so that should not be too many oprhaned packages.

Sure about that? That’s what I would like to think, but from what I’ve witnessed, it’s only removing the main program…this from a console and Yast Package Manager…try it yourself and check it. Apt doesn’t either but has autoremove.

I was hoping for some other way of doing this. I just tend to try out a lot packages.

When you remove a package from the cli with :

zypper rm packagename

it will tell you what other packages it’s going to remove and ask you for confirmation. I guess that YaST would do the same.

Other Linux distros have an option to remove orphans, like apt-get autoremove in Ubuntu or urpme --auto-orphans in Mandriva. I would assume that if zypper doesn’t have it, that’s because it is not needed.

I wonder if the Smart package manager doesn’t have the ability to list orphaned packages (?).

Yes…I know about Ubuntu…but I’m new to openSUSE…still trying to learn the commands, etc…I thought I read ‘somewhere’ that an autoremove equivalent was a feature request in openSUSE? don’t know where I saw that…FATE maybe? i’ll look…I’m liking openSUSE very much, haven’t used it in 2 years or so…KDE then.

As far as I know packages are left behind when you remove an application.

In Software Management, IF you use the QT UI you can view the packages by repository and select ‘System’
This will let you see the entire list of installed packages and their status is indicated by the version numbers text colour
Black= OK
Blue= Update available
Red= Roll back available OR this package is no longer available (which might be for a number of reasons: It has been dropped entirely, you have removed or disabled the repo from which it came and none of your current repo’s supply it)

Beyond that, I don’t know. But I would be interested to know if there was a way to verify if all the packages installed are actually required.

take a look at an application in the packman repo called rpmorphan to identify possible packages that seem to have no purpose.

i use it occasionally and identify possible extraneous packages and then remove them using yast2 (even thou you can remove them with the program, i am not comfortable with doing it that way).

hope this gives you some alternatives.

thanks…that is what I was looking for. may not matter though, I’ve just realized I can’t play my m4a files with Banshee using openSUSE. I know all about patents, I’m from the U.S…but I’ve already paid for those codecs over and over and over with Windows, Apple, etc etc…and I’m not paying again. I thought this had changed.

Going back to my old distro I guess…sux…

I’ve just realized I can’t play my m4a files

why not?

I just helped one of our mod team with this. Playing with songbird actually.

Can you provide me with a link for info on this? I’d sure like to stay in the fold here…I thought I had all the codecs installed I needed…but using VLC just won’t cut it…:slight_smile:

thanks for your help on this ! I generally use exaile or banshee in gnome…

First off, you must follow this
Multi-media and Restricted Format Installation Guide - openSUSE Forums
You may already have most of the packages installed - which is fine.
If you want songbird, then add it, but it’s not essential. Though I can’t confirm if Banshee will play them, never used it.

The most important step in all this is doing this:
http://tinyurl.com/yejwull

Now if you use gnome I’m not certain this view with the package switching is possible, at least not using the gtk UI. You can switch the yast UI to use qt here if necessary:
How To Get QT zypper GUI in GNOME YAST - openSUSE Forums

thanks…let look that over…I thought I had ALL the codecs installed via Packman and a one click install, but let me look…can’t do a shuffle jukebox with my linux distro is a no go for me…lol

thanks…I’ll report back…

I’m trying to get to screen that looks like that in gnome. I’ve switched to Yast2 ui to Qt btw…where is it? :)? Found it…nevermind…reboot and see what happens…

thanks caf…m4a’s work now in Banshee…I guess I see can why the switch needed to be done…Novell must cripple some libraries for that to be necessary…

patents fuel innovation, but it still sux…lol

makes me wonder…what codecs originated in non patent countries that we are using? curious…another thread I guess…

Good to know it’s better for you.
I quite often fly in to Orlando on Virgin flights then grab a one-way from Budget to drive to my house in the Bay Area.:slight_smile:

RE: rpmorphan finds “orphaned” packages on your system. It determines which packages that have no other packages dependent and shows you a list of these packages. It is clone of deborphan debian software for rpm packages.

More info here:

rpmorphan - find orphaned packages

(Quoted from rpmorphan site)

BUGS AND LIMITATIONS

Virtuals packages are not well (for now) taken in account. Let’s see an example : lilo and grub provide ‘bootloader’ virtual, which is necessary for system boot. if the 2 are installed, they will be shown all 2 as orphans (but you can not remove the 2). If you remove one of them, the other is now longer shown as orphan.

…the software can only work with one version of each software : we only treat the first version seen

Cool…I live about 5 minutes from Orlando Int’l Airport…

Simply not true. The software installer will not remove dependencies. It will remove packages depending on the package you’re removing.

Bothering about so called orphaned files (in fact orphaned files are completely different things) is not needed. Linux is not windows.

Example: package AAA needs BBB to be installed. Installing AAA would force install of BBB, uninstalling AAA would leave BBB installed, uninstalling BBB would force uninstall of AAA.

I’ve seen examples of the auto-removal tools, where during synaptic actions, one package was removed, some others first auto-removed, in same session reinstalled as deps for other packages. Don’t bother, the dependency system works, your entire install is not even half of Vista’s size, removing them does not speed up things.