Clean install to repair system

I was trying to upgrade to 11.2 from 11.1 by upgrading the OS online. However my internet connection failed and the upgrade has now messed up my system.

I have a dual-boot system with Windows XP and I’m wondering if it would be OK in getting the DVD and selecting update? Or do I have to change the boot log etc?

Thanks.

It depends on how “messed up” your system is (you didn’t say). You were trying to upgrade, so I assume you told it NOT to format your /home partition, right? In that case, /home is still there.

My next step, if it was me, would be to take the Parted Magic CD and back up that /home partition (if you haven’t already). That way, even if things go wrong, you’re still covered.

Having done that, though, you could try an upgrade. The Opensuse 11.2 installer will tell you if it doesn’t think it can be safely done (it’ll recommend a standard install).

Good idea to backup if you haven’t already.
IMO you would be best served starting from scratch
11.2 to 11.1 is not really an upgrade and FYI, unless you installed 11.2 deliberately with ext3, moving back to 11.1 might not work, because 11.2 default uses ext4 which will not play with 11.1

Good point. I forgot about that …

It’s difficult to say how messed up it is. I know that Linux doesn’t load up.

This is going to sound stupid but this is installed on my “laptop” which has a broken screen, so I use an external monitor. Unfortunately, I can’t really see the error messages because the external monitor only turns on after Linux has properly booted.

I’ve already backed /home. So I’m happy to do another clean installation again with /home left untouched.

The only reason I didn’t try to do this in the first place was because I spent countless hours trying to configure things on my system and was afraid I’d loose all that if I do a clean install.

The only reason I didn’t try to do this in the first place was because I spent countless hours trying to configure things on my system and was afraid I’d loose all that if I do a clean install.

You will loose them

It comes a bit as an afterthought and I admit that I often have to force myself to do it, but it is very wise when you configure less obvious things, to write them down (maybe on paper, but in a document inside the home directory of the user you normaly use is also a good idea).

Also I do make backups of /etc so I at least can see what I had. I do not advise to bluntly overwrite a configuration file in your new installed /etc with the backup file of the same name, but an intelligent merge is often making life easier.