Chromium update fails due to conflict in dependency

freshplayerplugin is just a wrapper.
It allows to use PPAPI plugins (flash in particular) with NPAPI browsers like Firefox.

IOW, you are using Adobe’s flash-player in both cases (flash-player-ppapi if you install the Fresh player plugin).

The main purpose of freshplayer-plugin was to be able to use the latest flash-player with Firefox on Linux too (instead of having to stick to the outdated 11.2 version), because it was only available for Chrome/Chromium (as pepper-flash).
But now that Adobe released 24.0 for NPAPI too, that point is void.

Ahh, point taken. I was thinking differently because:

The main purpose of freshplayer-plugin was to be able to use the latest flash-player with Firefox on Linux too, because it was only available for Chrome/Chromium (as pepper-flash)
yes, yes, I know all that.

The point where a logic failure occurred is that:

• there is a visual difference between when running it with the freshplayer plugin and when using the adobe player plugin
  • the difference between the said (desirable) behaviour when utilising it via the freshplayer plugin vs. the (undersirable) behaviour found when using the Adobe player plugin

I naively assumed there was more to the freshplayer plugin … thought there was a bit of frontending going on above and beyond the wrapping

But now that Adobe released 24.0 for NPAPI too, that point is void.
But evidently not for some reason!

Hm?
That point (being able to use a later flash-player version than 11.2) is void.

That doesn’t mean there may not be other reasons.

I just asked whether there is still a reason to use the freshplayer-plugin, because the NPAPI version is the same now.
Apparently there is (at least one) difference between the two plugins (flash-player and flash-player-ppapi) even though they are exactly the same version, so thanks for pointing that out.
(Maybe this actually is somehow related to the wrapper though, I don’t know enough details about browser plugins and the NPAPI and PPAPI to be able to tell)

And of course you’d also save some disk space if you use both Firefox (or other browsers) and Chromium, because you only need to install one flash-player…

Btw, I do agree that “a while back” also includes yesterday, but I normally wouldn’t expect yesterday when I read “a while back”… :wink:

Actually, just checked*, and there is no difference

• this is taking tooooo much time for something trivial (as it was, I had a 10min brown out during the middle of doing this … grrrr)

I don’t understand, or am not following along properly (which is likely the case, as I’m juggling a number of balls in the air and I’m not fully focused). In any regard, don’t worry or bother, this isn’t worth the time and electrons to explain LOL

[quote]the difference between the said (desirable) behaviour when utilising it via the freshplayer plugin vs. the (undersirable) behaviour found when using the Adobe player plugin
I just asked whether there is still a reason to use the freshplayer-plugin, because the NPAPI version is the same now.
Apparently there is (at least one) difference between the two plugins (flash-player and flash-player-ppapi) even though they are exactly the same version, so thanks for pointing that out.[/quote]yep, that’s the only difference I see now … I could have sworn I saw a visual difference between the two yesterday, but I guess I made a mistake

(Maybe this actually is somehow related to the wrapper though, I don’t know enough details about browser plugins and the NPAPI and PPAPI to be able to tell)
me either … nor do I have much interest in digging deeper

And of course you’d also save some disk space if you use both Firefox (or other browsers) and Chromium, because you only need to install one flash-player…
Hey, good point. Now we’re back up to two legitimate reasons!

Btw, I do agree that “a while back” also includes yesterday, but I normally wouldn’t expect yesterday when I read “a while back”… :wink:
The days are just packed my friend … yesterday, an hour ago, three years past… it all just blends into one

I still try one last time: :wink:
There is no reason to use freshplayer-plugin to have a newer flash-player than 11.2 in Firefox anymore, because the standard (NPAPI) flash-player has been updated to 24.0 as well now (the same version as flash-player-ppapi).