Chromium malfunction

After receiving updates from the Tumbleweed Repo for Chromium, the browser is not working properly. When starting the browser either it fails to load or it prompts an error:

Your profile could not be opened correctly.
Some features may be unavailable.  Please check that the profile exists and you have permission to read and write its contents.

Inside the browser a popup message says that the browser did not shudown properly and offers the option to restore my opened pages.
Next issue is with opening web pages. The browser cant open any web page (not an internet issue, my internet is working well other browsers work) Following this link https://www.google.com/support/chrome/bin/answer.py?answer=95669&hl=en-US i did created a new user profile, but the issues are still present and finally i get "Hes dead Jim" “He’s Dead, Jim!” - Google Chrome Help](http://www.google.com/support/chrome/bin/answer.py?answer=1270364&hl=en-US)
Inside konsole i get only this:

creatura@creation:~> /usr/lib64/chromium/chromium-kde 
[6597:6606:1404184873:ERROR:web_data_service.cc(692)] Cannot initialize the web database: 1

Issues are present under KDE 4.6.5, running Chromium version 16.0.891.0
Any solution or workarounds for my situation ?

Which is the repo used?

Having no issues with neither chromium-kde, nor chromium-gnome, tested both on Tumbleweed.

This one: Index of /repositories/network:/chromium/openSUSE_Tumbleweed

I did receive an update today for Chromium and now the pages i opened with the browser are non-responsive and Chromium asks for me to either kill them or wait. Killing them will prompt the error “he`s dead Jim!”

I have the same issue: the same cause and the same effect.

So I downgraded to the low order chromium for 11.4 (chromium-16.0.891.0-3.1.x86_64) contained in repo “…11.4:contrib” ------- and the error stayed behind, did not fix.

@swerdna: John, the “contrib” repos should no longer be used. This was in some other thread about Chromium. We should use the network:… repos, the one @creatura85 uses.

Guys, is there anything we could compare? Overhere Chromium works fine, not matter whether I install/start chromium-kde or chromium-gnome. The only thing different is that I atm have KDE 4.7 installed from the Release repo.

I have KDE 4.6.5 from Tumbleweed repo, under 64 bits. Is your system arhitecture 64 or 32 bits Knurpht ?

Gertjan I took it back to the Tumbleweed version. It’s freezing for me regardless of the repo. I note the 11.4 users have similar issue see here: Google Chrome stopped working after update

I have KDE 4.6.5

I think I will stop using it until the next update arrives and try again then.

Found out today, that the latest update has some flaws for me too :(. It reloads profile picks on Facebook a couple of times, first thought it was FB playing up, but the same thing happens on g+. There also seems to be some lagging in loading pages. Let’s wait and see, we’ve got other browsers :slight_smile:

BTW posting this from Chromium on GNOME 3 (so no interference with KDE packages).

64bit, all my computers. I’ll adjust my sig right away, it should be in there. Thanks for pointing me out in this utterly friendly way :smiley:

Lucky me. I have an image of the root partition from 3 days ago (when chromium was working, previous version). So I backed up bookmarks in /home, deleted chromium files from ~/.cache and ~/.config, wrote the image file back to the root partition, restored the bookmarks to chromium, imported passwords from firefox, locked the chromium RPMs in Yast — and all is now good again.

Bit risky, but worth it to have a good version of chromium back.

Another malfunction I have with Chrome is the tabs won’t close by clicking on the tab’s x.

I`m doing this for the last few days since Chromium is busted :smiley:

Knurpht: you`re welcome ! :smiley:

Typing this message from virtual box, using openSUSE Factory a.k.a 11.2 M5 and using Chromium 16.0.891.0.
All pages are loaded properly, no tabs issue, no “He`s dead jim!” messages, no message regarding profile issue/s.
KDE 4.7.1 again from Factory, 32 bits arhitecture of the OS from Vbox…

Can it be KDE 4.6.5 ? Can it be Kwallet from KDE 4.6.5 ?

Just received an update for Chromium, same situation…
I wonder if only 64 bit users are affected…

Forgot to mention this problem is only in Suse; works fine in Ubuntu and Win7.

I`ve encountered the same issue when i did a downgrade of Chromium using the version from the Contrib Repo. What arhitecture are you using Allan , 32 or 64 bits ?

I’m using 11.4 / 64

This is the Tumbleweed section, but even if you are running 11.4 i`m starting to suspect that only 64 bit users are affected by those issues with chromium.

I belive i have a solution, but i need that some of you test my ideea. At least for me it works, i will test later under Vbox as well.
First of all you need to use the guide created by please_try_again Downgrading chromium to version 846. and download that old version of chromium. After you do download and install the packages remember to lock them so they don`t get upgraded. The third think you have to do is to disable chromium_sandbox.
Here is an exemple for the script chromium-kde:
before editing:

#!/bin/sh

# Chromium launcher

# Authors:
#  Fabien Tassin <fta@sofaraway.org>
# License: GPLv2 or later

APPNAME=chromium
LIBDIR=/usr/lib64/chromium
GDB=/usr/bin/gdb
CHROME_SANDBOX=/usr/lib/chrome_sandbox

After editing:

#!/bin/sh

# Chromium launcher

# Authors:
#  Fabien Tassin <fta@sofaraway.org>
# License: GPLv2 or later

APPNAME=chromium
LIBDIR=/usr/lib64/chromium
GDB=/usr/bin/gdb
**#CHROME_SANDBOX=/usr/lib/chrome_sandbox**

In order to see if sandbox is interfering with chromium you must launch the browser from konsole inside KDE (or terminal if using gnome).
Some lines like this may appear:

creatura@creation:/usr/lib64/chromium> ./chromium-kde 
[25085:25085:9072148204:ERROR:renderer_main.cc(213)] Running without renderer sandbox
[25154:25154:9084621361:ERROR:renderer_main.cc(213)] Running without renderer sandbox
[25067:25067:9086392996:ERROR:native_backend_kwallet_x.cc(594)] Failed to complete KWallet call: The name org.kde.kwalletd was not provided by any .service files
[25067:25067:9088101822:ERROR:native_backend_kwallet_x.cc(594)] Failed to complete KWallet call: Message did not receive a reply (timeout by message bus)
[25234:25234:9111955823:ERROR:renderer_main.cc(213)] Running without renderer sandbox
[25246:25246:9124435217:ERROR:renderer_main.cc(213)] Running without renderer sandbox
[25281:25281:9128032333:ERROR:renderer_main.cc(213)] Running without renderer sandbox

After editing, no sandbox lines appear:

creatura@creation:/usr/lib64/chromium> ./chromium-kde
[26016:26016:9478230671:ERROR:native_backend_kwallet_x.cc(594)] Failed to complete KWallet call: The name org.kde.kwalletd was not provided by any .service files
[26016:26016:9478442255:ERROR:native_backend_kwallet_x.cc(594)] Failed to complete KWallet call: Message did not receive a reply (timeout by message bus)

I guess since i dont use kwallet thats why i`m seeing this message.
Since i use mainly KDE i can tell you if the chromium-gnome script is the same but i suspect it is. Please test my solution and post back. For me it works, even if i had to install chromium-kde version 16 by breaking the dependency with chromium 16 since it is locked at version 15.

Some updates: do not use chromium-kde with different version it will not work. Gnome users have chromium-gnome included when they download the old version of chromium, **KDE users may use chromium-generic. **