chromium failed to launch "Check failed: NamespaceUtils::WriteToIdMapFile("/proc/self/gid_map", gid_

I just received a google-chrome-stable update but still cannot load the UI from the Menu or the CLI.

Worked to me. A created a link using “/usr/bin/google-chrome-stable %U --disable-namespace-sandbox” in the link to app.

using the kernel 3.16.7-35.1 from
http://download.opensuse.org/update/13.2-test/

google-chrome-beta works again.
I don’t see any other issues using this ‘test’ kernel.

Thanks

Good news. Thanks. I expect an update with this patch in a few days. In the meantime there was an update to google-chrome-stable.

Excellent! Thank you. Worked for me too.

Hello, total newcomer to opensuse, and linux for that matter. My knowledge and comfort of navigating around are very limited so please bear with me.

Everything was running well until I ran “zypper up” and then neither chromium nor chrome-stable (which I installed after experiencing problems with cromium) want to start.

I removed both completely and then reinstalled chromium from scratch. Then ran “chromium -v” in the terminal and got the following as a response:
“Check failed: NamespaceUtils::WriteToIdMapFile(”/proc/self/gid_map", gid_)"

What am I doing wrong and what should I do next?

Please note that “chromium --disable-namespace-sandbox” has worked for me too, but just feels like a workaround.

Thanks in advance!

What am I doing wrong and what should I do next?

Waiting for an Update or using the workaround.

Oh, ok, that says all there is to be said. And it also makes me feel better, since I had the sense that I had screwed up somehow… :slight_smile:

Thank you!

The last update seems to have solved the problem for me.

nope, today there 's been a chrome update whose the changelog mentioned something about the sandbox but it still does not start ! there a cat process that stucks for some reasons.

You need to wait for a kernel update, not chrome.

Or you can install it now already from the update-test repo if you don’t want to wait.
http://download.opensuse.org/update/13.2-test/
But it should be released any day now…

I looked at the patch. Some years ago I applied patches to keme (linux accounting software). But I didn’t recognize this one. Does it need packaging in some way? I’d like to try it.

That repo already contains RPM packages ready to install which include the fixes. Those are exactly the same RPM packages that will be released as official update in the next days.

No need to “apply patches” to anything.

Just add that URL as repo with YaST or zypper and update your system.
But please note, that this repo always/only contains packages that are to be released as update, and are not tested yet.
Its purpose is to make it possible to test the updates before they are released (for about a week normally), so that problems can be detected.

So it might happen that there are problems at times.
Therefore it is advisable to remove/disable the repo again after you installed the wanted update.

Or manually download the wanted packages (kernel-desktop probably) from that URL and install it manually with rpm or zypper.

New kernel is has been released (3.16.7-35.1. This fixed the issue.

I agree. The kernel updates cleared up the problem. Thanks to all the devs who worked on this.

this helps. tnx

But this shouldn’t be necessary any more, and therefore is not recommendable to do either as it imposes a security risk AIUI.

Rather install the kernel update instead.

The updates worked for me as well. Thanks guys!

Marius from teller terminals

FYI,

I’ve raised this issue a few months ago.

I am now running Kernel 4.5 Overall faster, no issues with chrome/chromium. Although Gnome apps get uglier from KDE base

I doubt that this has any relation to the kernel though… :wink: