Chrome browser issue

After an update (I think,) Chrome will not start. The window comes up blank. After a few seconds, it crashes. I uninstalled and reinstalled with no improvement. Out of frustration, I installed Chrome Beta. It works as expected.

Oddly, if I open Chrome Beta, close it and run the regular Chrome, the regular one works again. After a reboot, the regular Chrome fails and I have to redo the process. The only thing I can think of was a problem with the cache. But, that doesn’t explain the Beta working and getting the regular starting again. Does it?

Also, is there any reason I shouldn’t just skip the whole problem and use the Beta as my default?

Yes, staying with old versions can cause lot of problems. Just installed google-chrome-stable_current_x86_64.rpm on Tumbleweed 20201030 and it runs flawlessly. Thus I presume your problems are caused by improper installation or stale configuration files. To check the latter create a new user and test chrome.

Chrome stable is working now, since I began using the Beta. If I find another failure, I will definitely try the new user approach. I have to say, so far, the Beta has worked flawlessly and is perceptibly faster than the stable version.

It’s been a long time since I’ve played around with multiple Chrome versions on the same system, IIRC I had to be watchful because they shared common file locations, so files would be over-written.
You can verify if this is still the case by inspecting the package contents and comparing them (maybe diff the list of components if it’s long list)
The command to list the package contents followss:

rpm -ql* package_name *

If this is what is happening, then you have a kind of frankenstein app with parts from different versions

TSU

They each have 106 files. The beta has an extra man file; I assume manual. I forget what the extra file in the stable version was (to make them each 106) but when I saw it, it seemed trivial. I feel a little nervous about having only the beta version installed, but it is snappier.

It’s not the number of files but where each file came from.
Although not exact, you might also filter by date to identify suspected new vs old files.

TSU