Choosing Correct nVidia Package to Install

Hello ~ I have an nVidia Quadro NVS 55/280 PCI card in my machine and it runs a single 19" panel very well. The machine was shipped as a windows XP box, but is now running SuSE 11.0. Originally it drove 2-19" panels as a single desktop.

Since switching to SuSE, I have been unable to drive the second panel. I have added the nVidia repo and have read the summaries of each of the available packages there, but have been unable to determine which package is correct for my hardware.

Can anyone help me figure this out? Having this final annoyance solved would make my day.

Here is your driver on the nvidia page:

Linux Display Driver - x86

This is the driver you use to install “the hard way” but the compatibility should be the same.

If you look at the “supported products” link on the left, you’ll see your card listed.

So I’m guessing that if you go with the repo driver, you’re going to want the “legacy” one, which is the 96.xx version.

You did not say if you were running 64 or 32 bit Suse, so make sure that’s correct as well, and you should be all set.

Oh, and one more thing, be sure the driver version and your kernel both match. To get your kernel version type in the terminal

uname -r

And the kernel version the driver was designed for will appear in the last part of the file name. These both need to match or you will likely have problems getting the driver to install successfully.

Hi.
Have a look at NVIDIA - openSUSE. You can install the driver with 1-click install there. As your card is quite new, you should press the green button in the 11.0 section for that purpose. The other ones are for older cards but you will see that on the website. The link also offers some information on dual-screen mode for which I use yast whenever I add a second display or a beamer to my computer.
The different drivers available in the Nvidia repository are confusing in the beginning, so either use 1-click install or read a little bit. In case you don’t want to do the latter, as foresthill mentioned “uname -r” is a good idea to figure out your kernel flavor. Then choose the driver which is NOT legacy and fits your kernel flavor. Good luck!

Thank you both. Digesting the options you’ve offered and going in to take a look at the file names again on the nVidia repo. I’d rather use the package manager and understand which file I installed. Make it easier to find if I need to back it out.

This is a great help. I’ll be back with results. -devedge

I now have a dual-head machine running openSuSE 11.0! This is a big deal to me, so thank you both.

There was good info in both of your replies.

I found this on Nvidia Installer HOWTO for SUSE LINUX users

It sums up the possible package combinations:

a) x11-video-nvidia + nvidia-gfx-kmp-(kernel_flavor)

or

b) x11-video-nvidiaG01 + nvidia-gfxG01-kmp-(kernel_flavor)

There is now also a gfxG02 variant for both package types.

In my case, per your advice, I ran uname -r and got back

2.6.25.18-0.2-pae

The package combination I tried first was that of the legacy drivers. It took x down completely, but since I used the package manager, I was able to boot back up in failsafe and remove the drivers. Next I tried the “driver which is NOT legacy” and its corresponding kernal flavor package.

I then went YaST>Hardware>Card and Monitor Properties and in the SaX2 window I now have a Dual Head Mode box.

The rest is toggling settings.

Thank you supertimorplusfort and thank you foresthill.