Changing to openSuse from Archlinux, in dual boot with Windows 8.1

Hello, this is my first post, I have installed succesfully Archlinux in dual boot with Windows (UEFI), and I’m using GRUB, my question is, can I install openSuse in the Arch partition without problems? and I made a lot of configurations, for example in graphics drivers, this is not necessary in openSuse, right? or I have to configure everything again. I have fast boot and secure boot disabled. Thanks in advance.

*Additional information: I have an integrated video card (Intel) and an dedicated video card (nVidia).

No. The root partitions of two distros can’t be shared. What you can share are SWAP (but remember if one distro is hibernated, the don’t start another one) and /home (but then the user names at both the distros should be different)

I made a lot of configurations, for example in graphics drivers, this is not necessary in openSuse, right? or I have to configure everything again.

The two distros are totally different so, the configs for arch may not work on openSUSE. I’ve been using openSUSE for last 2 years and I didn’t feel need to make a config file. To be more specific you might want to point to Arch wiki explaining what configs did you make.

I have fast boot and secure boot disabled.

How did you disable fast boot. Just want to verify.

*Additional information: I have an integrated video card (Intel) and an dedicated video card (nVidia).

Is your system a PC or Laptop/Notebook with switchable graphics card?

That should not be a problem.

Maybe make sure that your EFI partition is mounted as “/boot/efi”. I think Arch recommendations can be different, depending on how you setup booting.

With that done in Arch, start the opensuse installer. In the partitioning section, click “create partitioning”. On the next screen, select “custom partitioning”. Then, on the next screen, look for the “Import mount points” toward the bottom of the screen. Clicking that should present the Arch partitioning, which you can then accept.

You are probably using an entry named “arch” in the UEFI boot configuration. If you want to continue using that, you can get into the boot settings of Install, and change the Distributor to Arch. But it is probably more sensible to go with the defaults of having an “opensuse” name. You can delete the “arch” entry later with the “efibootmgr” command.

Search for documentation on BumbleBee and opensuse.

rotfl! Two contradictory advices.

What I think that is the case here, is that “can I install openSuse in the Arch partition without problems?” is interpreted entirely different by the two people above.

One thinks that the OP wants both distributions in one (root) partition (which is of course impossible).

The other thinks that the OP wants to use an existing partition, overwriting it with openSUSE (which is possible when the size is large enough).

Now please @silver91, what is your intention?

Hi, thanks for answering.

1. I want to use an existing partition, overwriting it with openSUSE, sorry for being ambiguous.

2. I have a laptop with switchable videocards.

3. Configurations:

-I only use the nVidia card in Archlinux, I configured in “nVidia optimus” https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA_Optimus
-I have put the hdmi sound card as principal in ALSA conf file.
-In xorg-server, I changed some things, because the automatic configuration was wrong, it detected 2 screens and 2 monitors, when I only have one.
-I have disabled fast boot and secure boot in bios.

4)Do I need to mount the /boot/efi partition, before booting the openSuse image?

1. My real intention is reduce the size of windows partition, then delete the arch partition and in the unallocated space install openSuse, but my concern is about GRUB and the boot of the 2 Os (Windows and openSuse).

I only suggested that, because it will make the install setup easier.

The installer looks for existing linux systems, and looks in “/etc/fstab” of those. The suggestion was to have a mount entry in the “/etc/fstab” of your arch system before you start.

Again, that’s just to make it easier to reuse the arch partitions.

1. My real intention is reduce the size of windows partition, then delete the arch partition and in the unallocated space install openSuse, but my concern is about GRUB and the boot of the 2 Os (Windows and openSuse).

As long as you boot the opensuse install media with UEFI, you should not have a problem with this. The opensuse installer does a pretty good job of setting up booting, and there should be a boot entry for Windows.

The only problem I see is that you will leave a directory in the efi boot partition for arch also I suppose int the EFI tables too. So it needs removed in each place if no longer to be used. Unfortunately there is no fancy automated way to do that that I know of, you have to manually remove the entries.

Since you have an Optimus system you also need to know and understand bumblebee if you BIOS does not allow the selection of GPU .

https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:NVIDIA_Bumblebee

If it does and you selected to use only NVIDIA then use the normal NVIDIA driver and more or less follow the instruction from the arch page you referenced. Some things it tells you to install are installed by default in openSUSE. Some I’m not sure of.

Not sure at all if all the thing on the Arch page would work if you can not BIOS select the GPU but I do know if you follow the instruction on the above page exactly it will work as advertised in openSUSE.

Should I use this info?

http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2014/06/02/how-to-delete-boot-managers-from-a-uefi-boot-menu/

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=159657

http://linux.die.net/man/8/efibootmgr

Can I remove the entries before the openSuse instalation?. After removing the entries, I will use gParted to reduce the windows partition, delete the arch one, and then install openSuse.

Don’t see why not but as soon as you do you no longer can boot to arch. All the references are gone.

I think I will delete the entries after the openSuse installation. I will make a backup for my data. Thank you for your help, you are very kind people.