Changing flash drive ownership

I recently received a few flash drives that were originally used to show a video on teriflunomide but was asked to wipe them and most methods told to me haven’t worked. The flash drive is write protected and does not have a write protect switch, can any one help me figure out how to take away the write protect or become the owner of the flash drive? thank you. and apologies for the title if it mislead any one.

You can try to wipe everything as root with

dd if=/dev/null of=/dev/sdX

But be carefull!
When you use the wrong letter for X, you will destroy all and everything on another disk on the system.

X should be replaces with b, c, d, …, (NO number added, thus not c1) but please check and double check you use the correct letter.

If that does not work (and there was a thread in the Dutch section were this did not leead to the wanted result), it is something in/on the device itself.

On 04/17/2014 04:36 AM, hcvv wrote:
>
> You can try to wipe everything as root with
>
> Code:
> --------------------
> dd if=/dev/null of=/dev/sdX
> --------------------
>
> But be carefull!
> When you use the wrong letter for X, you will destroy all and everything
> on another disk on the system.
>
> X should be replaces with b, c, d, …, (NO number added, thus not c1)
> but please check and double check you use the correct letter.
>
> If that does not work (and there was a thread in the Dutch section were
> this did not leead to the wanted result), it is something in/on the
> device itself.

Will that work? I would expect that the command should be ‘dd if=/dev/zero
of=/dev/sdX’. In general, /dev/null is fine for output, but not for input.

You are correct, that is much better.

I knew something was wrong wiith it. I stared at it and even checked if /dev/null existed :frowning:
Stupid me.

Ha, thought you would be getting used to that, by now, Henk. At our age …

Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.:’(

On 2014-04-17 17:36, hcvv wrote:
>
> lwfinger;2637525 Wrote:
>>
>> Will that work? I would expect that the command should be ‘dd
>> if=/dev/zero
>> of=/dev/sdX’. In general, /dev/null is fine for output, but not for
>> input.
> You are correct, that is much better.
>
> I knew something was wrong wiith it. I stared at it and even checked if
> /dev/null existed :frowning:
> Stupid me.

Nay…How could you have tested it? Erasing a disk of your own? LOL.

I did not see anything wrong with your command, either :slight_smile:


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 “Bottle” at Telcontar)

I am getting old :P, but not that old that I now tested it:

henk@boven:~> dd if=/dev/null of=yyy
0+0 records gelezen
0+0 records geschreven
0 bytes (0 B) gekopieerd, 0,000302523 s, 0,0 kB/s
henk@boven:~> l yyy
-rw-r--r-- 1 henk wij 0 18 apr 22:26 yyy
henk@boven:~> 

And it does what I guessed it does. On input you get an end-of-file and thus nothing is copied and thus nothing happens, It is an obfuscated version of

touch yyy

rotfl!

On 2014-04-18 22:36, hcvv wrote:

> And it does what I guessed it does. On input you get an end-of-file and
> thus nothing is copied and thus nothing happens, It is an obfuscated
> version of
>
> Code:
> --------------------
> touch yyy
> --------------------
> rotfl!

LOL indeed :slight_smile:


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 “Bottle” at Telcontar)

Sorry for not replying, my computer cord stopped working and I had alot going on at school so I couldnt get on here, You have been helpful, I shall try the methods you have come up with but i need to be able to put programs and folders on it which isn’t possible because of the write protect, will this method take that away as well?