Changed motherboard / Stops loading before reaching gui

I just swapped my old MSI K8N Neo Platinum out for a brand new Foxconn A7GM-S and before I get to a workable desktop it gets stuck on

Waiting for device /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_WDCWD6400AKS_WD_WMASY1366430-part1 to appear: .............. Could not find /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_WDC_WD6400AKS-WD-WMASY1366430-part1.
Want me to fall back to /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_WDC_WD6400AKS_WD-WMASY1366430-part1? ) (Y/n)

asnwered yes

Waiting for device /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_WDC_WD6400AKS_WD-WMASY1366430-parts to appear: .................... not found -- exiting to /bin/sh

So I’m guessing I’ll have to edit the file telling suse where to find what?

If it matters, the disk is partitioned into a root partition and a home partition.

Quite a step to change the motherboard.
Best bet is to boot with the DVD and do a repair.
And of course you backed up your data first ???
Hope it works for you unfortunately it’s not in the list here.
Always worth a look before buying for future reference

Geoff

Guess I’ll stick with my old plan and plug the old motherboard back in and then in the weekend install 11.1.
It’s just that I read another post earlier that seemed to suggest it would be pretty painless.

Didn’t backup any data as it’s either on the /home/ partition or on a raid 5 software raid.

Thanks for the reply, and I’ll make sure to update the HCL when I got it up and running.

The problem is because your initrd used to load the root filesystem, isn’t making the right drivers available to the kernel, at the boot stage.

If you know what you are doing, then you can create new initrd’s with mkinitrd(8), best to specify the kernel and name of new initrd, and create a new GRUB line, rather than overwrite what you have.

A method that may work for you is to boot off Live CD 11.0 and use that to discover and create the initrd’s.

With 11.1, the modules to go into the mkinitrd are generated off the booted system by udev, so there’s actually less control than previous.

Unfortunately having given 11.0 a miss, I cannot be exactly sure of how it works in that release.

If you have some spare partitions and space, you could do a temporary fresh install, and then copy into the original /boot, the right initrd, for your new motherboard.

There’s always a chance though that you need the newer kernel in 11.1, for new & updated on the new motherboard.

In future, you can discover what modules are loaded, by going straight into single user mode (add a 1 on boot command line), and using “lsmod”.

Another alternative is the jumbo initrd option (everything) using -A which is most often used for installers. However I’ve not tested this out myself.

If you changed your HDD too, you will have to use a live CD to change all appearances of “WDCWD6400AKS_WD_WMASY1366430” in /etc/fstab and /boot/grub/menu.lst" too, to your new HDD string. The live CD may give you the new string that it’s using to boot.

Otherwise, the advice of robopensuse above is good.

In the lines of what robopensuse already wrote… have a look here :
Good Things To Know When Imaging Linux To Different Hardware

Cheers,
Wj