CDs not reading, thread #2

Same problem as someone else below- my optical drive will not read CDs in SuSE 11.3 (all the latest patches). CDs read fine in Windows, DVDs fine in both.
This is a brand new drive, since my old one gave up the ghost last Tuesday (no longer appeared in BIOS)

Drive is Samsung SH-S223L, and dmesg gives the following errors:

64.952304] Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 158968
71.651194] sr 6:0:0:0: [sr0] Unhandled sense code
71.651198] sr 6:0:0:0: [sr0] Result: hostbyte=DID_OK driverbyte=DRIVER_SENSE
71.651202] sr 6:0:0:0: [sr0] Sense Key : Medium Error [current]
71.651207] sr 6:0:0:0: [sr0] Add. Sense: L-EC uncorrectable error
71.651212] sr 6:0:0:0: [sr0] CDB: Read(10): 28 00 00 04 d9 f0 00 00 02 00
71.651222] end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 1271744
71.651226] Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 158968

Hardware problem or could it be configuration?

VintagePC

Same problem as someone else below- my optical drive will not read CDs in SuSE 11.3 (all the latest patches). CDs read fine in Windows, DVDs fine in both.
This is a brand new drive, since my old one gave up the ghost last Tuesday (no longer appeared in BIOS)

Drive is Samsung SH-S223L, and dmesg gives the following errors:

64.952304] Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 158968
71.651194] sr 6:0:0:0: [sr0] Unhandled sense code
71.651198] sr 6:0:0:0: [sr0] Result: hostbyte=DID_OK driverbyte=DRIVER_SENSE
71.651202] sr 6:0:0:0: [sr0] Sense Key : Medium Error [current]
71.651207] sr 6:0:0:0: [sr0] Add. Sense: L-EC uncorrectable error
71.651212] sr 6:0:0:0: [sr0] CDB: Read(10): 28 00 00 04 d9 f0 00 00 02 00
71.651222] end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 1271744
71.651226] Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 158968

Hardware problem or could it be configuration?

VintagePC
I would like to say that anytime I saw such a thing from a brand new drive, I must ask if you are still using the old data cable? If you are, do you have a replacement? I have had such errors when using an old IDE cable with a new drive and replacing the IDE cable did the trick. With the advent of SATA drives, I can’t say I have had a cable problem, but I would still try a new one before I did anything else. Also, for IDE, make sure no pins are bent on the drive or the motherboard.

Thank You,

Yeah, I do have a cable I can try. I doubt it would do much, since a bad cable would likely affect both CDs and DVDs, not just one.

In addition, I’ve found that if I’m really patient, mount will actually persist and get the CD mounted, making it readable (but rather slow to access, b/c of the constant errors).

I’ll try the cable and report what happens.

Edit: I’ve also contacted Samsung to ask them… got a polite response that while they can’t guarantee Linux support, they are willing to test it next week (which would confirm if it is a hardware issue or not). Will report results here too.

Yeah, I do have a cable I can try. I doubt it would do much, since a bad cable would likely affect both CDs and DVDs, not just one.

In addition, I’ve found that if I’m really patient, mount will actually persist and get the CD mounted, making it readable (but rather slow to access, b/c of the constant errors).

I’ll try the cable and report what happens.

Edit: I’ve also contacted Samsung to ask them… got a polite response that while they can’t guarantee Linux support, they are willing to test it next week (which would confirm if it is a hardware issue or not). Will report results here too.
Well good luck. Remember, that poor cables can increase error rates which can cause odd problems. I am not holding out for a bad cable, but it has happened to me several times over the years. I hope you get the help you require from Samsung as well. I look for a good report on your next visit to the forum.

Thank You,

It would seem that I’ve found the issue: my old drive was just remarkably faster at recovering from errors - turns out both the CDs I was using for testing were giving these errors (despite one being a nearly-new barely-used burn of SuSE 11.3 net install), I just didn’t notice them because the old drive wouldn’t take as long to correct (hence HAL would still receive the report and automount).

Interesting…

Forgot to mention though… some CDs that don’t have any errors in my old drive DO give errors in the new one.

Well, bad CD’s are a problem along with finger prints and general dirt on the back side. You can find audio CD cleaners which work on any CD/DVD and are highly recommended for any CD you use a lot, or just make a new one. It is not a good sign that an older drive does better with bad CD’s and kind of curious, though advance CD players that do dual layer and such may have worse playback for older format CD’s. But it is hard to know what the issue is beyond a CD that needs to be cleaned or replaced.

Thank You,