Catalyst beta driver and cpu freq tools

I bought on linux Serious sam 3 through steam, during Linux out of beta party. ( 80% off.)

Looking around the net, I found two things to do,when having problem like mine.

Intro vid from game stuttering, dramatic frame drops.

Install catalyst 13.2 beta 6 and disable in bios anything related to power saving and such. currently installed 13.1

I downloaded a zip file, containing a run file.

Two questions.

To start it, I type ./file name ?
Do I need to change the runlevel ?
ctrl alt F5 ctrl alt F7 ?

Onces or twice did this years ago,

before when I read su and sudo in de commando’s

Second question. cpu freq tools

When I search in yast, cpu allot pops up

None seem to have a gui ?

As far as I understand it
There are 5 kernel settings, SS3 needs performance (on demand might work too)

How do I make some shortcut ? from my desktop to start this program ?

I suggest that any entity providing a Linux .run file should include the required instructions on how to run it. Normally, it would be run from a terminal prompt. Some files do require you be root first, but only if it is required:

su -
password:

You would then change to where the file is located and type in a ./filename.run. As follows:

cd /file_folder_location
./filename.run

Some files include a built in bash script to install the binary, such as the nVIDIA proprietary video driver, you add sh:

cd /file_folder_location
sh ./filename.run

But in the end, you should find out the instructions form who ever furnished the .run file. As for CPU speed, have a look here:

C.F.U. - CPU Frequency Utility - Version 1.20 - For use with the cpufrequtils package: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/c-f-u-cpu-frequency-utilitiy-version-1-10-use-cpufrequtils-package-40/

Thank You,

Thank you, that looks like the tool I was looking for.

I agree totally about the drivers, when opening the zip file, I was hoping to find a readme or something.

Installed the cpu frequency tool

Then downloaded the bash script.

Changing the setting from on demand to performance, solved all in game problems.
It runs so much better.

:slight_smile:

It is possible to run this bash script on startup you know. The command line run as root:

cfu -s 5 q

Says to Set Speed, use option 5 for performance and then quit. For a standard user you can try thing:

sudo cfu -s 5 q

The number five does depend on the number of Governors found on your system, so you should run it to see how many settings you get. The higher the number the higher the speed, but must not go above the number of governors that you have. I have a blog on getting the after.local bash script working. You can add this command to that bash script to be run at startup and no need to use sudo as it will get run as root.

systemd and using the after.local script in openSUSE 12.1/12.2: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/systemd-using-after-local-script-opensuse-12-1-71/

Thank You,

For now I am very happy with this tool.

i have to play some more tf2 to rely tell. But it seemed better when I tried.
Not so easy to see, because it already worked very well.

Today steam updated , then segmentation fault

Three hours later steam update available.

steam --rest worked for me.

It started to update and i needed to log in.
Then steam started again.

What I would like to see is an article from a gamer on how Steam is loaded, what is its source, how its updating works, what game(s) does it work with and where did you obtain the game(s)? How many games are free, if any, and the expected cost for games that are not free. How does the game play in Linux differ from Windows? It would be great if I could point a future gamer to all the info they need to get gaming in Linux. Your help and anyone else that reads this would be appreciated. I, as a moderator, would like to post the most helpful info of Steam in the Games (https://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/games/) forum for all to read. I would mention your name as providing help in the Games forum if you want it to be mentioned. A blow by blow example could be posted here: https://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/how-faq-forums/unreviewed-how-faq/, and if you see examples already posted in the forum, point them out and I can make links to them. if you have more questions, an informal place to ask for help on a new gaming article would be here: https://forums.opensuse.org/english/other-forums/community-fun/general-chit-chat/, All help is appreciated and no help is too small.

Thank You for using openSUSE,

Won’t make any promises, but might make some steam faq or read first thingy.

About this:
Forum: Unreviewed How To and FAQDo you have the same time to edit a post there, as anywhere else on the forums ?
( a few minutes max )

Installed amd catalyst 13.2 beta 6 drivers.

sudo sh ./filename

The ati amd installer starts, and you have two options.
Create an package for your os or install.

I did both but did not use the rpm.

Just clicked install, second time I had the installer started.
Then rebooted, fingers crossed, and it is working great.

Played a few seconds only to test, tf2 and SS3, and that went very well.
I need to add, this was with kernel setting performance, but TF2 is 100% ? fluently.
When I played before, it was not a big deal, but I had the game freeze , sometimes for prob 1 sec or so. That seems to be gone.

Then used these forums to find a way to get rit of the for testing purpose only watermark.

2D as in firefox seems to have improved too.

I can see AMD at least trying to improve the Linux drivers.

Looking at TF2, which is also worked on at the Valve side.

It worked the first time I tried it, already pretty good.
But now it seems like, wow

About how well games currently run on Linux.
One of the guys who made Serious Sam 3, said:
There is no reason, for our game to be slower on linux compared to windows.
He thinks the game will run faster on linux, then on windows. ( a bit )

He did not say when, but said that opensource people amd and nvidia are working on better openGl support.

This does not come as a surprise to me, I am just happy that because of Valve and steam, we finally get good linux drivers.
With Valve, the argument there is no market, is gone.

That is correct, the edit time works the same everywhere in the forum. My suggestion is to work on it off line and get close to what you want. If you have a grieves error, just PM me and I can fix it for you. But do take time to get it right before you post it online.

Thank You,

I found this :slight_smile:

https://en.opensuse.org/Steam

It will add to this, although its already pretty good.

I will add some info about:
on how Steam is loaded, what is its source, how its updating works, what game(s) does it work with and where did you obtain the game(s)? How many games are free, if any, and the expected cost for games that are not free. How does the game play in Linux differ from Windows?

I added a bit to the wiki steam page.
The frequently asked questions section.

Any feedback is much appreciated.

https://en.opensuse.org/Steam#Frequently_asked_Questions