caps led and brightness keys problem on dell vostro 3360 with opensuse 12.3 kernel 3.7

Hello!
I have strange quirks with caps led indicator and brightness keys: they work just after power on, in grub menu but they cease to work after operation system boots to graphical environment.
Caps lock itself is working fine: just indicator don’t light up.
Brightness control itself is working also: I can configure brightness if I map other buttons. Just function keys don’t work.

I’ve tested it on opensuse 12.3 kde and gnome running 3.7 kernel: both are affected.
Opensuse 12.2 with previous kernel didn’t have such quirks.
Please, help to find out what cause this quirks.

I could not find any help on the internet though I did find your post here: caps led and brightness keys problem on dell vostro 3360 with opensuse 12.3 kernel 3.7 - Laptop General Hardware Forum - Laptop - Dell Community, so I wonder if you want to try kernel 3.8 by chance just to see if it helps? Have a look here: openSUSE and Installing New Linux Kernel Versions - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

Thank You,

True. True. Thanks for you help. Installing kernel 3.8 solves my problem.

On the other hand, using non-distribution kernel solves one problems but brings another: now I can’t use kernel-dependent
distribution packages, virtualbox, for example.

I use VirtualBox with no problem with kernel 3.8, I just download it from Oracle (32/64 bit links and the extension pack):

VirtualBox 4.2.10 has been released. Here are the links:

openSUSE 11.4 / 12.1 / 12.2 / 12.3 i386 | AMD64

VirtualBox 4.2.10 Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack All supported platforms

Have a look at this article: https://forums.opensuse.org/content/59-how-install-virtualbox-opensuse-11-4-12-1-tumbleweed.html

Basically you will uninstall it from YaST, if installed from the repository, then right click on the downloaded rpm from the Link above and pick Install/Remove Software and let it be installed by YaST externally. You then run VirtuaBox and install the latest extension pack. Now every time you update the Linux kernel, VirtualBox drivers must be reinstalled. You can automate that process by installing dkms from Packman repository and then use my dkms bash script to get it to work with systemd in openSUSE. So, each time you update the Linux Kernel, upon restart, VirtualBox will be recompiled automatically for you and loaded with just a slight delay (60 seconds or less) in the restart.

DKMS & systemd - How to get Dynamic Kernel Module Support to work in openSUSE 12.1 - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

Thank You,