Can't write to NAS shares

I set up OpenSuse a few days ago and all seemed well until I found I can’t write to shares on my NAS drives, I can see them and read or copy files but I can’t write to the drives. My credentials are good on both NAS drives so it’s probably a setting probably in Samba but I can’t find it.

I receive a message - Access Denied when I try to write.

I can connect with Dolphin or Konqueror quite easily and I have write permissions on both NAS drives, I’ve used the same Username/password through out, both on the drives and on my OpenSuse box. I am the administrator on Suse.

Any help much appreciated.

aamcle

I have followed the Samba config thread above to include :-

[global] workgroup = WORKGROUP netbios name = Toaster server string = “”
**** netbios name = MyBook server string = “” name resolve order = bcast host lmhosts wins local master = yes preferred master = yes os level = 65 passdb backend = tdbsam printing = cups printcap name = cups printcap cache time = 750 cups options = raw map to guest = Bad User usershare allow guests = Yes

Were Toaster and NetBook are the names of the two NAS devices and I still cant write to them.

aamcle

Since you are trying to connect to a NAS this is not a samba config problem.
(You are trying to mount a share using the CIFS client)

Question: Does Dolphin ask for Username and Password when you connect to one of your NAS shares?

One more idea to diagnose the problem:

• Start a root shell (konsole)
  • enter the following commands:
    **sudo su
    **(make sure you are root)
    **mount -t cifs //[NAS name]/[share name] /mnt -o user=[username] --verbose
    **(you will be asked for your password)
    **touch /mnt/xxx
    **(should write an empty file named xxx to your share)

=> So we can get closer to the layer where your problem lives

I have a QNAP NAS.
With nmap I find ip of the NAS - nmap -sn 192.168.0.*
This ip I write it in Dolphin or in a browser then I write username and password.
I hope that helps you.

As an aside, you needn’t have to type

> sudo su

. This isn’t Ubuntu! You can use

> su -

. This will result in you “really” becoming root.

I’ll check in a few minutes, I can connect via samba and read/copy with Dolphin without difficulty which is why I was looking a samba.

aamcle

Too much trouble swapping it for a Ubuntu derivative.

aamcle

I think you got the previous posting wrong. The last comment was just about how one would obtain a root shell properly. You don’t need to worry about Ubuntu at all. Both methods will yield you a root shell. I suggest you enter the commands

su -
mount -t cifs //[NAS name]/[share name] /mnt -o user=[username] --verbose
touch /mnt/xxx

and tell us what happens.

NB:

• [NAS name] should be replaced by the name or IP address of your NAS box
  • [share name][FONT=arial] should be replaced by the share’s name on your NAS box
  • [/FONT][username][FONT=arial] should be replaced by your user name on that NAS box[/FONT]

On the QNAP NAS, with the user “admin” have you:

• Within the QNAP Control Panel (“System Administration”), within the “Rights” section, setup appropriate User Groups and Users?
  • Within the QNAP Control Panel “Network and Files Services” section, have you setup the services correctly?

By the way, the QNAP NAS supports NFS, which is my preferred method to access the box from Linux systems …

• With the QNAP “File Station”, have you setup the per-user access rights for each directory the NAS serves?

Sorry for misundersanding.
I have no problems with my NAS thanks to this forum.
From “Control Panel” I make any changes I want.
I tried to help @Aamcle. I thought that if he has a Qnap (Synology) he can enter in “Control Panel” and …

Despite being a client issue, there may be a ‘smb.conf’ issue here:

• Does “testparm” (may be executed with a “normal” user) indicate any issues with ‘smb.conf’?
  • Your ‘smb.conf’ doesn’t seem to have the [global] tag “client max protocol = SMB3”.
  • Can you connect to the NAS servers by means of the CLI command “smbclient” and, can you “put” a local file to the SMB/CIFS server?

[HR][/HR]BTW, I prefer to connect to NAS boxes from a Linux box by means of (auto-mount) NFS – it works reliably and more (Linux) naturally than via Redmond’s protocols and, these days, many NAS boxes are in fact Linux boxes (running a Samba server for the Redmond world) … >:)

Me too.
But first I have to learn how. I am working on it. :wink:

The openSUSE reference for NFS auto-mount (autofs) is here: <https://doc.opensuse.org/documentation/leap/reference/html/book.opensuse.reference/cha.autofs.html>.
You’ll also need “showmount --exports <NAS host name>” to discover which NFS mount points the server is exporting.
I tend to use the top level directory “/mnt/” for the NFS mount points.

Thank you.
Right now I mounted a folder from my NAS:
mount -t cifs -o username=myname //192.168.. /home/aaa
Now I begin to read how to add a user from linux to my QNAP. I hope to find out in a week.
:wink: