Cant use USB headphones: cant load kernel module

Hello, I have been having trouble with sound on my new install, and followed the SDB:Audio troubleshooting and had no luck until i got to the YaST part…

I had tried to configure my “sound card” and it said it couldn’t load the kernel module:


My lsusb output is as follows:

~> lsusb

Bus 003 Device 005: ID 0951:16a4 Kingston Technology 

Any and all help appreciated :smiley:

Open a terminal and run

dmesg -w

Plug the device in and observe/capture what is reported. (CTRL +Z to terminate.)

Run the diagnostic utility as well
Let it upload to an online server, and post the link that it provides here for others to review.

I think this is the relevant information:

1.11 Device [Kingston HyperX 7.1 Audio] on usb-0000:00:14.0-11/input3
 6702.449231] usb 3-11: USB disconnect, device number 8
 6709.941820] usb 3-11: new full-speed USB device number 9 using xhci_hcd
 6710.288712] usb 3-11: New USB device found, idVendor=0951, idProduct=16a4
 6710.288716] usb 3-11: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
 6710.288718] usb 3-11: Product: HyperX 7.1 Audio
 6710.288719] usb 3-11: Manufacturer: Kingston
 6710.288720] usb 3-11: SerialNumber: 00000000
 6710.328898] usb 3-11: Warning! Unlikely big volume range (=4096), cval->res is probably wrong.
 6710.328900] usb 3-11: [11] FU [Sidetone Playback Volume] ch = 1, val = 0/4096/1
 6710.557686] input: Kingston HyperX 7.1 Audio as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb3/3-11/3-11:1.3/0003:0951:16A4.0009/input/input24
 6710.613884] hid-generic 0003:0951:16A4.0009: input,hiddev0,hidraw1: USB HID v1.11 Device [Kingston HyperX 7.1 Audio] on usb-0000:00:14.0-11/input3

Here is the script output:

To clarify:
In my output devices i only have a dummy device

And the error For the kernel module is incorrect on my part, I had clicked on a sound card i forgot was in there :stuck_out_tongue: the USB audio wont show up.

Do you have a sound configuration file (/etc/modprobe.d/50-sound.conf) file present?

Strangely, the diagnostic output is missing card numbering that would normally be expected. I don’t know if this is because two devices are using the same driver or some other reason? Report back with output from these as well…

cat /proc/asound/cards
aplay -l

My 50-sound.conf looks like this:

~> cat /etc/modprobe.d/50-sound.conf

options snd slots=snd-hda-intel,snd-hda-intel,snd-usb-audio
# u1Nb.s0VDt+L4LID:9 Series Chipset Family HD Audio Controller
alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
# NXNs.iDZFOCXY_BA:nVidia Corporation
alias snd-card-1 snd-hda-intel
# uniq.unknown_key:USB Audio
alias snd-card-2 snd-usb-audio

then /proc/asouns/cards:

~> cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [PCH            ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH
                      HDA Intel PCH at 0xf7210000 irq 31
 1 [NVidia         ]: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
                      HDA NVidia at 0xf7080000 irq 17
 2 [Audio          ]: USB-Audio - HyperX 7.1 Audio
                      Kingston HyperX 7.1 Audio at usb-0000:00:14.0-11, full speed

Then aplay -l:

aplay: device_list:270: no soundcards found...

No idea whats happened. Is there a way to verify integrity of my install? this one is brand new

First did you do the sound setup in Yast? The Kingston unit should be first ie device 0. Does the test sound work?

Install pavucontrol. run it and see if the output is directed to the correct device

No idea whats happened. Is there a way to verify integrity of my install? this one is brand new

It is not your install that is the problem, just the sound hardware/configuration I think.

I would remove that configuration file entirely and try replacing with (as root)

options snd_hda_intel index=0 vid=8086 pid=8ca0
options snd_hda_intel index=1 vid=10de pid=0fba

This should hopefully set the card order properly. The usb card should load automatically without an explicit entry (assuming upported).

@gogalthorp: More fundamental issues going on at the ALSA/kernel level currently that need to be sorted first.

Sorry for late reply: I had an unrelated issue with a crash and had to reinstall; This time i used hardware detection in Installation; Surprisingly no sound issues! Im sorry I cant help solve this problem.

If it’s working now there’s nothing to solve! :wink: