Cant understand what zypper means

I am a long time debian user and have just switched to tumbleweed. when I run “sudo zypper up”, I get the following output:

Loading repository data…
Reading installed packages…

The following 2 package updates will NOT be installed:
librist4 libvulkan_intel
Nothing to do.

Now what does this mean??? I do have the packman repo enabled. Why isnt zypper updating these packages???

@overlord2203 Hi and welcome to the Forum :smile:
On Tumbleweed, it’s zypper dup as in distribution upgrade, not zypper up so try that first and see what the result is…

Is simply means that you have no updated packages that can currently be installed.
There are two packages that can not be updated at this time. Most likely they would break something. Welcome to tumbleweed.

No. It simply means that the vendor-switch was not performed and the repo priority for Packman was not adjusted.
https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Installing_codecs_from_Packman_repositories

Not necessarily. The reported output of “zypper up” simply means that there are packages with a version number higher than that of installed packages, but they cannot be readily installed because of current “update” rules; maybe those packages are locked, or the update would need a “vendor change” or…
But all that is irrelevant to Tumbleweed since only “zypper dup” is the correct command as already suggested.

To be more specific, it means that the vendor-switch was not performed for those two packages.
If that is the case, the repo priority is irrelevant unless one uses “–allow-vendor-change”, which is not the default for zypper up or dup in Tumbleweed.

Please read the SDB. The vendor-switch is not performerd per package but per complete repo…

sudo zypper dist-upgrade --from packman --allow-vendor-change

Sure, but if Packman choose to add a package after one did the switch on one’s system, that package remains with the original “vendor” until one repeats the

sudo zypper dist-upgrade --from packman --allow-vendor-change

so should I do this?

this is the result:

Loading repository data…
Reading installed packages…
Warning: You are about to do a distribution upgrade with all enabled repositories. Make sure these repositories are compatible before you continue. See ‘man zypper’ for more information about this command.
Computing distribution upgrade…
Nothing to do.

Try to explain->

This reporting is due to a newer package (by ver number) Is available from a vendor that is not the current registered vendor of this package thus it will not be updated because it would require a vendor change.

On TW you must use dup not up to update since this is always for TW a distribution upgrade

so should I just ignore this and use zypper dup instead?

@overlord2203 and if you then run zypper -vvv dup it should add verbosity and probably mention those two packages?

I am not sure what you mean with “this”.

But when you ask if you should have done the vendor switc h to Packman, then the answer is “yes”. It is useless to add the Packman repo, but then not use it. Thus, as root:

zypper dup --from <packman>

Wher you should replcae with the Alias or Name or # of the packman repo. You have not posted your repo list, thus we can not be sure what those are on your system.

And then again: never use zypper up on Tumbleweed, only zypper dup .

yes it mentions those 2 packages

Please to make it easier for everyone to help you. Always copy/paste things complete, that is starting with the prompt/command line, then all output and then the line with the new prompt. Only so we can see exactly the same as what you saw before you.

And then use the </> button (Preformatted text) from the tool bar of the post editor around the pasted text.

2 Likes

okay will keep in mind

@overlord2203 then you need to do the vendor switch as suggested by @hui and @OrsoBruno

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.