Can't stop an update..

Hello, running 11.3, installed k3b and a few other things from Packman. Now suse updates wants to replace k3b. I moved the suse update repo to priority 100, packman to 90. Still, it tries to apply the k3b update from the suse repo. I went to the updater in yast and told it to NEVER install the update, and also tried locking it (protected) and again, after a reboot, it checks for updates, and tries to replace my k3b.

Then finally, the version in packman is NEWER than the one in the suse update repo!
how can I sort this out??

thanks.

Do you realy have the Packman version installed? Check by going into TaST > Software > Software Management, search for k3b and use the Version tab lower-right. It tells you which version is installed and fom which repo.

The priority is not very interesting here. The system in fact will not change the vendor out of itself. Thus when you have k3b from Packman it should not try to use OSS or Update repos anymore without your approval.

To be sure you have the Packman versions of all your installed packages, use the Repositories View (from the View tab) and click the blue line saying something like “change all to this repository”. But you will only have that option when you use KDE.

wicked1 wrote:

>
> Hello, running 11.3, installed k3b and a few other things from Packman.
> Now suse updates wants to replace k3b. I moved the suse update repo to
> priority 100, packman to 90. Still, it tries to apply the k3b update
> from the suse repo. I went to the updater in yast and told it to NEVER
> install the update, and also tried locking it (protected) and again,
> after a reboot, it checks for updates, and tries to replace my k3b.
>
> Then finally, the version in packman is NEWER than the one in the suse
> update repo!
> how can I sort this out??

Same problem here w/k3b update. I tried letting it update intending to
change it back to get synced but the update shown by the updater will NOT
install. I’m looking for a big stick to beat the !@#$ thing to death now!

Will Honea

This thread is just started: OpenSUSE 11.3 + k3B 1.0.5. Please look, it seems that k3b is no longer on Packman (that could be the case when there is no need for it any more).

It is best to change then back to OSS/Update by using the Version tab (as noted above) and lick on the most recent version from Update, thus changing the Vendor.

I am very sorry about finding that I can’t resist doing this but…

I’ve tried licking and licking and it still doesn’t help; wouldn’t clicking be more likely to work?

Well, I was in such a hurry to help you.

I hope your tongueis not to disatisfied with this behaviour. I hope also that nobody saw you doing this and after asking got an answer like: That is how Linux works!

Actually, K3B is still hosted on packman because of the codecs needed for various naughty multimedia stuff. (easily searchable on the Packman site).

I’ve marked the K3B “update” as “taboo” in the update manager and have elected to keep the Packman version.

Cromulent

Yes, my version is definitely from packman, and I too need the packman version for things the good people at suse would frown upon.

I tried marking the update as taboo and it still comes back!

Ok, this is definitely a problem. I’ve tried a lot of stuff… things I don’t fully understand like rebuilding my installed packages database, or something. (a friend who knows more than I do, walked me through a bunch of stuff)
And simple things like letting yast update to the suse version. Then being sure no updates are available. Then making sure my update repo has a lesser (higher number) priority than packman. All ok.

go to software management, packman repo, replace all packages w/ versions in the packman repo…
all of a sudden…
an update is available… k3b again…

On 2010-07-31 16:06, wicked1 wrote:
>
> Yes, my version is definitely from packman, and I too need the packman
> version for things the good people at suse would frown upon.
>
> I tried marking the update as taboo and it still comes back!

In the applet? Kill the applet.
Or report in bugzilla.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 “Emerald” GM (Elessar))

Actually, now that I have installed the suse version, and gone back to the packman version, I AM able to mark it as taboo. So, it’s odd that it tries to update it, but I am able to stop it now.

Thanks everyone

wicked1 wrote:

>
> Actually, now that I have installed the suse version, and gone back to
> the packman version, I AM able to mark it as taboo. So, it’s odd that
> it tries to update it, but I am able to stop it now.
>

You must have a bigger stick to hit it with! I tried doing that and YAST
refuses to keep the taboo setting so it just keeps nagging me. As bad as a
wife, it is.

Will Honea

Same problem. Also tried letting yast->update update what it wanted to, then reinstalled the versions I want, then marked the patches as taboo. But it doesn’t work, the taboos on the patches don’t stick. I have a package that I compiled myself marked as protected too but it still wants to apply its patch to that. And these aren’t even security patches, they’re just “recommended”.

On 2010-08-01 10:06, cthubik wrote:
>
> Same problem. Also tried letting yast->update update what it wanted to,
> then reinstalled the versions I want, then marked the patches as taboo.
> But it doesn’t work, the taboos on the patches don’t stick. I have a
> package that I compiled myself marked as protected too but it still
> wants to apply its patch to that. And these aren’t even security
> patches, they’re just “recommended”.

If a taboo doesn’t stick, use bugzilla.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 “Emerald” GM (Elessar))

If I go back to manually do the updates from yast, it does still show up in the list and tries to update it, but it is no longer showing up as an automatic update… The little icon in my task manager says no updates available.
I’m not sure what it will do when another new update comes through…

I guess it is a bug

Bug 627316
filed.

If the plant ye wish to flee, to to sector 7-B.