Can't read from CD-ROM or Floppy

Hello,

Just installed opensuse 11.1 over the network, and now I am unable to read the CD-ROM or Floppy.

/dev/sr0 and /dev/fd0 exist

I created /media/cdrom and media/floppy because they did not exist

I added the following lines to /etc/fstab
/dev/sr0 /media/cdrom auto noauto,user,sync 0 0
/dev/fd0 /media/floppy auto noauto,user,sync 0 0

as root when I try to mount: mount /media/cdrom I get
mount: /dev/sr0: unknown device

as root when I try to mount: mount /media/floppy I get
mount: you must specify the filesystem type (I shouldn’t have to, I don’t on my other opensuse 11.1 machine)

display of ll /dev/sr*
brw-rw----+ 1 root disk 11, 0 2009-06-13 18:22 /dev/sr0

display of ll /dev/fd0
brw-rw---- 1 root floppy 2, 0 2009-06-13 18:22 /dev/fd0

My other machine running the same version works perfectly, meaning the DVD/CD/Floppy are recognized by UDEV.

I have hit a road block, and I’m not sure of what else to look for.

Your help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe.

Add all your users to the group ‘disk’

First of all, you don’t need those entries in the fstab.
Post the output of the following:

ps -ef | grep hald

Here is the output from your command:
101 1828 1 0 09:25 ? 00:00:00 /usr/sbin/hald --daemon=yes
root 1894 1828 0 09:25 ? 00:00:00 hald-runner
root 1932 1894 0 09:25 ? 00:00:00 hald-addon-input: Listening on /dev/input/event0 /dev/input/event4 /dev/input/event3
root 1963 1894 0 09:25 ? 00:00:00 hald-addon-storage: no polling on /dev/fd0 because it is explicitly disabled
root 1974 1894 0 09:25 ? 00:00:00 hald-addon-storage: polling /dev/sr0 (every 2 sec)
101 1978 1894 0 09:25 ? 00:00:00 hald-addon-acpi: listening on acpid socket /var/run/acpid.socket
cv 4032 4024 0 09:37 pts/1 00:00:00 grep hald

Also here is a bit more info
This is from dmesg after booting:
sr0: scsi-1 drive
Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.20
sr 2:0:1:0: Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0

Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M

This is from dmesg after inserting a cd:
Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 0
Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 1
Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 2
Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 3
sr 2:0:1:0: [sr0] Result: hostbyte=DID_OK driverbyte=DRIVER_SENSE,SUGGEST_OK
sr 2:0:1:0: [sr0] Sense Key : Hardware Error [current]
sr 2:0:1:0: [sr0] Add. Sense: Logical unit communication CRC error (Ultra-DMA/32)
end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 0

Looks like hald is running and if you insert a CD it should get detected within 2 seconds.
However, there seems to be some errors while reading the CD. Can you try with another CD?

I did try with another cd and the results are the same.
All the cd’s I tried work fine on my other computer which runs the same version of opensuse.

The only difference is that the drive is read only on this computer.

Are you sure your CD drive is not damaged? (You can check this by booting from the CD driver again using the installation CD).

Also, see if you have any BIOS settings for the CD drive to change the data transfer mode (Something like DMA, PIO etc).

Hello,

Sorry for not responding in a while, but I have been busy.
Anyhow, I’m sure it’s not the drive since I used it to install the system.

I have tried a few things since then and I think the problem relies with the fact that Opensuse uses the SCSI interface.
I tried Kubuntu and it does even install the live cd. It comes up with tons of /dev/sr0 errors.
The only distribution that works is PClinuxOS and I think it is because it uses dev/hdb not /dev/sr0 which is what OpenSuse uses.

Anyway the drive is very old and I decided to upgrade it. Once it comes in I will try installing OpenSuse again.

I am sure if I new what emulation layers to install I wouldn’t need to upgrade, but for $35 I got a DVDRW/CDRW. Welcome to the 21st century. On the other hand if it worked on one distribution it should have worked on any decent distribution.

I apologize for not replying early and thank you for responding to my posts.