Can't move apps to vertical 2nd screen, help!

I have OpenSuse 12.3 Gnome installed and updated on my 32 bit laptop with a second screen connected via vga positioned vertically above and behind my laptop screen. The problem is I can’t use the second screen as I can’t figure out how to drag open apps vertically to the second screen… (I disabled mirror mode and positioned the monitors accordingly in the display control panel). My laptop has Intel integrated graphics. Thanks for any assistance!

silversuds wrote:
>
> I have OpenSuse 12.3 Gnome installed and updated on my 32 bit laptop
> with a second screen connected via vga positioned vertically above and
> behind my laptop screen. The problem is I can’t use the second screen as
> I can’t figure out how to drag open apps vertically to the second
> screen… (I disabled mirror mode and positioned the monitors
> accordingly in the display control panel). My laptop has Intel
> integrated graphics. Thanks for any assistance!
>
>
Try opening different workspace in primary monitor. It seems secondary
workspace by default will always be in first workspace (ref:-
http://gregcor.com/2011/05/07/fix-dual-monitors-in-gnome-3-aka-my-workspaces-are-broken/)

Now in primary monitor laptop open an application and send it to second
monitor using (ctrl+Alt+up) and (ctrl+Alt+down) key combinations

GNOME 3.6.2
openSUSE Release 12.3 (Dartmouth) 64-bit
Kernel Linux 3.7.10-1.16-desktop

I tried following the gconf steps but couldn’t, as “shell” to “windows” is impossible as “shell” doesn’t appear to exist…

I wonder if it’s possible to move the top Gnome bar to the bottom, because that seems to be what is preventing windows from crossing to the top screen… i installed dconf and couldn’t find an option to move the Gnome bar to the bottom on the primary laptop screen. The other possibility could be changing primary screen to the external vga screen (which would orient the Gnome bar at the very top of the external vga screen so it wouldn’t block windows from crossing screens) I installed Arandr to attempt to do this with a gui, but the option to customize which monitor is primary doesn’t appear to exist… (I don’t know the terminal commands to do this via Xrandr).

edit: ctrl+alt+up/down does move apps across the top screen, but they don’t stop on the top screen (i’m not sure where they go, they speed vertically across and beyond it)

silversuds wrote:
>
> I tried following the gconf steps but couldn’t, as “shell” to “windows”
> is impossible as “shell” doesn’t appear to exist…
>
> I wonder if it’s possible to move the top Gnome bar to the bottom,
> because that seems to be what is preventing windows from crossing to the
> top screen… i installed dconf and couldn’t find an option to move the
> Gnome bar to the bottom on the primary laptop screen. The other
> possibility could be changing primary screen to the external vga screen
> (which would orient the Gnome bar at the very top of the external vga
> screen so it wouldn’t block windows from crossing screens) I installed
> Arandr to attempt to do this with a gui, but the option to customize
> which monitor is primary doesn’t appear to exist… (I don’t know the
> terminal commands to do this via Xrandr).
>
> edit: ctrl+alt+up/down does move apps across the top screen, but they
> don’t stop on the top screen (i’m not sure where they go, they speed
> vertically across and beyond it)
>
>
Keep laptop monitor primary

install dconf-editor ==> zypper in dconf-editor

open dconf and set Workspaces-only-on-primary to true under
org.gnome.mutter

Then open Activities ==> click on the second workspace as shown in the
image
http://img.susepaste.org/view/raw/67159196

Now open any application and then do ctrl+alt+up/down

It will move to first workspace.(bigger monitor).

i.e. in laptop monitor you can use multiple workspaces and in bigger
monitor you are always in primary workspace.


GNOME 3.6.2
openSUSE Release 12.3 (Dartmouth) 64-bit
Kernel Linux 3.7.10-1.16-desktop

Thank you for your suggestions, i still can’t seem to get app windows to stay on the external monitor…
(when using ctrl+alt+arrows the app windows seem to move across and beyond or skip the external monitor)

It seems when i do look at workspaces, I can successfully drag an app window across to the external monitor, but it also won’t remain there when leaving the workspace view.
(note the app window crossing between screens in the below image, it moves back to the laptop monitor once the mouse button is released)
http://i.imgur.com/q0ZBz9d.png

whereas, when in normal desktop view, apps are completely prevented from crossing to the external monitor…
(as seen in the below image, note the grab hand cursor on the external monitor that is attempting to drag the app window across)
http://i.imgur.com/emVecXK.png

I did notice that when i changed arrangement of the monitors in the display settings to where the external monitor was below the laptop monitor i was able to successfully move app windows between screens, but that arrangement of screens isn’t practical as it doesn’t reflect the real placement of the physical monitors…

silversuds wrote:
>
> Thank you for your suggestions, i still can’t seem to get app windows to
> stay on the external monitor…
> (when using ctrl+alt+arrows the app windows seem to move across and
> beyond or skip the external monitor)
>
> It seems when i do look at workspaces, I can successfully drag an app
> window across to the external monitor, but it also won’t remain there
> when leaving the workspace view.
> (note the app window crossing between screens in the below image, it
> moves back to the laptop monitor once the mouse button is released)
> [image: http://i.imgur.com/q0ZBz9d.png]
>
> whereas, when in normal desktop view, apps are completely prevented from
> crossing to the external monitor…
> (as seen in the below image, note the grab hand cursor on the external
> monitor that is attempting to drag the app window across)
> [image: http://i.imgur.com/emVecXK.png]
>
> I did notice that when i changed arrangement of the monitors in the
> display settings to where the external monitor was below the laptop
> monitor i was able to successfully move app windows between screens, but
> that arrangement of screens isn’t practical as it doesn’t reflect the
> real placement of the physical monitors…
>
>
You might optionally try out toggling the option

open dconf and set Workspaces-only-on-primary to true under
org.gnome.mutter


GNOME 3.6.2
openSUSE Release 12.3 (Dartmouth) 64-bit
Kernel Linux 3.7.10-1.16-desktop

I tried that option both checked and unchecked (with restarts for each) and couldn’t fix the issue :frowning: sry…
Ultimately i found success with linux mint (the gnome bar is at the bottom on it, so i can cross monitors freely)
Thank you for assisting though! :smiley:

Isn’t mint KDE based?

KDE in openUSE my also work. could just be a gnome problem.

There is a KDE version of Mint, I’m using cinnamon (which I think is somewhat based on Gnome).
I haven’t tried KDE in a while as last I did there’s no graphical GUI control panel for Wacom tablets.
(there wasn’t initially in Mint cinnamon, but installing “gnome-control-center” fixed that problem)