Can't mount harddisk after installation!

Hi!

Have problems mounting a harddisk after installation! My other two can be mounted but not my harddrive named “musik”

The volume is formated with ext3 and i revice the message (translated from Swedish to English):

Can’t mount volume.
mount: /dev/sdd1 already mounted or /media/musik busy

After a shorter period:
Could not mount musik
DBus error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

I’m still a newbie to Linux and this harddisk worked out just fine in Ubuntu!

I use the latest 64 OS of opensuse!

Thank you very much for your help regarding this issue!

Best regards
Johan Linnarsson

Can you post the message in Swedish as well just in case you missed something in the translation

/Geoff

Can’t mount volume:

Kan inte montera volymen.
mount: /dev/sdd1 already mounted or /media/musik busy

After a while:

Kunde inte montera musik
DBus error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

EDIT:

Thank you for the help :slight_smile:

Ok i can see that it is an external drive as it is in /media.
Do you also have it added to fstab?
Please post the contents of /etc/fstab

/Geoff

EDIT almost forgot
Welcome to the forum
(Välkommen)

/dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD360GD-00FLC0_WD-WMAKH1220191-part1 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD360GD-00FLC0_WD-WMAKH1220191-part2 / ext3 acl,user_xattr 1 1
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs noauto 0 0
debugfs /sys/kernel/debug debugfs noauto 0 0
usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs noauto 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts mode=0620,gid=5 0 0

EDIT:

Västerås? Vänersborg here :wink:

it’s not an external drive btw. it’s an internal :slight_smile:

Ok but external drives are usually put in /media as suggested by “/media/musik”
Try going to Yast > System > partitioner expand hard disks select your drive and click edit and make sure it is selected as mount.

Also your fstab is non standard as you do not have a /home
How did you install?

/Geoff

PS Yes Västerås moved here in 87 from London. Was in Vänersborg a few years ago on a conference. Nice city

Booting from my ubuntu live cd now. I would like to thank you for taking the time helping me. Unfortunaly suse managed to crash!? Menu and panel gone. All I was trying to do was to install php5, apache2 MySQL… hmm trying to reboot again and it all stops while loading :sarcastic:

I’ll give it a last try to re-install suse again…

EDIT: Any install sugestions? I have a 36GB disk so therefore i didn’t create a /home.

Like i said you seem to have a non standard installation.
It’s a really good idea to have a separate partition for /home.

If you can backup your data might be a good idea to totally reinstall by deleting and repartitioning your drives during the install.
You can also set a mount point for your “musik” drive during the install in the advanced settings.

/Geoff

Since i have such small harddisk for suse… how much space will the system take up? It will not be much space left in case i dont select another harddrive for /home since i’d not prefere to.

If I add a /home partition… will it become standard then? :slight_smile:

Depends on what you want to do typically:
1gb for swap
60-75% for /home
and the rest for /

If you plan to use the whole disk just accept what the installer suggests.
You can also in advanced choose to mount your music drive

/Geoff