Can't log in to lxdm gui; GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Error

Installation: OpenSuse Tumbleweed LXDE
Kernel: 4.4.0-3-default

I have had this problem twice now. The first time was fairly early on after the installation, so I did a complete reinstall. This time it happened a few weeks after that second installation.

I cannot log in to X using the gui. I type the password and it returns me to the lxdm login menu.

I can log in from the terminal or via ssh.
I can also log in with no problems using another user (there are two users on this computer).

Observations:

The problem happened, in both cases, after I logged out to the lxdm start menu. After that I couldn’t log in any more. I can’t remember if I got one log in and then rebooted and couldn’t log in anymore or if it happened instantly.

In both cases, when the second user (the one with no login problems) logged in I got the following error:

GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Error.Failed: 
User of caller and user of subject differs.

Also, I’m not sure if this is germane, but I can’t start X using startx after logging in through the terminal–for either user. The error from Xorg.1.log is:

25.283] (WW) xf86OpenConsole: VT_ACTIVATE failed: Operation not permitted
    25.283] (EE) 
Fatal server error:
    25.283] (EE) xf86OpenConsole: Switching VT failed

As a wild guess - any chance you have another user with the same UID as yours?

Also, I’m not sure if this is germane, but I can’t start X using startx after logging in through the terminal–for either user. The error from Xorg.1.log is:

25.283] (WW) xf86OpenConsole: VT_ACTIVATE failed: Operation not permitted
    25.283] (EE) 
Fatal server error:
    25.283] (EE) xf86OpenConsole: Switching VT failed

It has been this way for years. X must run as root and SUID bit is not set by default.

Both users have different UIDs, as per /etc/passwd.

It has been this way for years. X must run as root and SUID bit is not set by default.

OK. thanks for clarity on that.

I’m not clear what you are trying to do, only seeing you trying to run generic commands which should not work in LXDE.

I’ve written two wiki articles about LXDE specifically…

The latter includes a link at the bottom of the page which points to the Arch Wiki LXDE page for most other things you might want to do to modify or do things in LXDE.

HTH,
TSU

I am simply trying to log in. Turn on computer… enter user (actually it is presented as first option)… enter password…

my problem is after entering password “BANG” … I am returned to original login screen.

If my description isn’t clear, I would appreciate better terminology. Thanks

Two posiblities

1. video driver problem

2. out of space on root partition. If using BTRFS and a small partition you need to remove some snapshots and maybe dial back snapper settings or turn it off

Thanks for the response…

Not out of space. Also, I am not using DTRFS. I am using ext4.

1. video driver problem

could be video, but I don’t think so. This install is on an old thinkpad X61. The video according to ‘lspci’ is:

VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (primary) (rev 0c)

I have run other flavors of Linux (Debian, Ubuntu. Centos, gentoo …) on this computer for years and never had a video problem. Am I missing something?

Experiment:

I backed up and deleted the user directory of the problem user, then created a new directory for the user and now that user can log in.

So something was changed in the user directory to cause this problem.

— OK, so I have restored the user directory back to it’s problematic state to try to find what’s causing this

I noticed that both users have the same dbus session number. Is this correct?

# cat /home/user1/.dbus/session-bus/26b3c0018e60aa42384b8b955699560a-0 |egrep -v ^#
DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=unix:abstract=/tmp/dbus-7ITj4GYBqy,guid=52ad64149156f9ab9342865056b7a56b
DBUS_SESSION_BUS_PID=4618
DBUS_SESSION_BUS_WINDOWID=10485761
# cat /home/user2/.dbus/session-bus/26b3c0018e60aa42384b8b955699560a-0 |egrep -v ^#
DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=unix:abstract=/tmp/dbus-EKieM1xxFI,guid=04dcf13e60c82b3146dc941f56b9fb81
DBUS_SESSION_BUS_PID=3098
DBUS_SESSION_BUS_WINDOWID=14680065

Not sure if this is helpful, but I found this WARNING in ~/.cache/lxsession/LXDE/run.log :

** (polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1:1600): WARNING **: Unable to register authentication agent: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Error.Failed: An authentication agent already exists for the given subject
Cannot register authentication agent: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Error.Failed: An authentication agent already exists for the given subject
/usr/local/bin/autostart-ksuse-lxde.sh: line 7: kalarm: command not found
Openbox-Message: Unable to find a valid menu file "/usr/share/lxde/openbox/menu.xml"
** Message: pygobject_register_sinkfunc is deprecated (GstObject)

** (pcmanfm:1585): WARNING **: modules directory is not accessible

(nm-applet:1606): libnotify-WARNING **: Failed to connect to proxy

(nm-applet:1606): nm-applet-WARNING **: Failed to show notification: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.Notifications was not provided by any .service files

(lxpanel:1584): Wnck-WARNING **: Unhandled action type _OB_WM_ACTION_UNDECORATE

The login problem is solved.

1. I backed up the user’s home directory
  2. deleted user’s home directory
  3. created a new one and rebooted
  4. The user was able to log in, so
  5. I restored the user’s home directory and
  6. through trial and error deleted various files and directories until the culprit was found
  7. It was an .xinitrc file with nothing but commented out lines (starting with #).
  8. delete .xinitrc
  9. log in successfully

So, I am able to log in, but the GBUS error still exists

If you’re still getting that GDBus error, are the consequences still the same?
Seems your file manager PCMan and your network manager applet might not be functional.

Maybe you should just do a complete online distro upgrade
First, check that no wrong repos are enabled.
Then disable all repos except your OSS and OSS Update repos.
Then, run your “upgrade” which should re-install your openSUSE with updates

zypper dup

TSU

Still getting the following error, but only from the second user who never had problems logging in.

GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Error.Failed:  User of caller and user of subject differs.

If you’re still getting that GDBus error, are the consequences still the same?
Seems your file manager PCMan and your network manager applet might not be functional.

I don’t see how file manager PCMan and the network manager applet could be the culprit. Is there a way to check?

Maybe you should just do a complete online distro upgrade

As per your suggestion, I tried a distro upgrade, but the problem still persists, except that now the error is thrown when the other user logs in. It only gets thrown for one user.

This was what was done:

1 package to upgrade, 128 to downgrade, 21 new, 26 to reinstall, 8 to  remove, 155 to change vendor. Overall download size: 324.1 MiB. Already  cached: 0 B. After the operation, additional 12.1 MiB will be used.  

Not sure how important this is but I ran into the following file conflict:

Detected 4 file conflicts: 

File /usr/lib64/libhdf5.so.10 from install of libhdf5-10-1.8.15-4.5.x86_64 (Main Repository (OSS)) conflicts with file from package libhdf5-11-1.8.16-22.5.x86_64 (@System) 

File /usr/lib64/libhdf5_fortran.so.10 from install of libhdf5-10-1.8.15-4.5.x86_64 (Main Repository (OSS)) conflicts with file from package libhdf5-11-1.8.16-22.5.x86_64 (@System) 

File /usr/lib64/libhdf5_hl.so.10 from install of libhdf5_hl10-1.8.15-4.5.x86_64 (Main Repository (OSS)) conflicts with file from package libhdf5_hl11-1.8.16-22.5.x86_64 (@System) 

File /usr/lib64/libhdf5hl_fortran.so.10 from install of libhdf5_hl10-1.8.15-4.5.x86_64 (Main Repository (OSS)) conflicts with file from package libhdf5_hl11-1.8.16-22.5.x86_64 (@System) 

I resolved it by running

zypper remove  libhdf5* 

then rerunning the distro upgrade.

Freshly installed tumbleweed with gnome.
The problem is almost the same: when clicking the “log in”, it returns to the original login interface.
Tried with another newly created user, also failed.
But can log as root.

In my case, I now know there’s problem with video driver. But still looking for solutions. Why a common Intel HD graphics is not supported? It worked well in Mint an d Manjaro.