Can't load KDE and Gnome after update

I stopped using KDE and started using GNOME a while ago. Gnome’s packagekit found a few updates for KDE (just about 200) and installed them. The following day I decided to test GNOME 3.4. After I added this repository “http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/GNOME:/STABLE:/3.4/” and updated all the gnome components I have I couldn’t log in to GNOME. I tried logging in with KDE but couldn’t either (it gave me an error saying that there are several “Lib” files missing). AS for Gnome, at first it gave me an error saying that there is no system tray installed and it would immediately exit. I tried reinstalling the gnome shell but that gave the same result. I tried “Zypper dup” and it downloaded a bunch of files, downgraded some, deleted others, and upgraded a lot but I still couldn’t log in on GNOME nor KDE. When I try logging in on gnome it gives me a puprle screen and freezes. I’m still able to log in on the terminal using ctr + alt + f3 but switching back to the GUI will still give me that purple screen. I can log in using iceWM just fine. Is it possible to fix KDE and Gnome without reinstalling SUSE? I don’t particularly feel like having to reinstall my OS. If there is a way, what are the steps to do it?
Thanks in advance!

Login to IceWM
Remove all but the default repos (oss, non-oss, updates)
Run zypper dup

Thanks for the reply! I tried that but KDE still gives the same error and GNOME now logs in, displays a black screen, and logs out:disapointed:

On 2012-06-05 11:26, Vagrant232 wrote:
>
> caf4926;2467317 Wrote:
>> Login to IceWM
>> Remove all but the default repos (oss, non-oss, updates)
>> Run zypper dup
>
> Thanks for the reply! I tried that but KDE still gives the same error
> and GNOME now logs in, displays a black screen, and logs
> out:disapointed:

Try new user.
If that fails, print here “zypper lr --details” inside code tags.

Posting in Code
Tags - A Guide

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

I’m sorry I didn’t reply earlier but I ended up reinstalling OpenSUSE with GNOME 3.2. I learned my lesson I’ll just wait till GNOME 3.4 is released with OpenSUSE 12.2 :shame:

I’m running a Gnome install of 12.1_Tumbleweed and it’s smooth a silk knickers :smiley: