can't install Thunderbird 3

Hi all,

I have openSUSE 11.1 and Thunderbird version 2.0.

However I want to install Thunderbird 3 and I want to do so with YAST.

So I :
YAST —>Software repositories

which gives me a screen with on the right hand side :

opensuse-11.1-non-oss
opensuse-11.1-oss
opensuse-11.1-Update
opensuse-11.1-0

and a few others

However, when I click Add → specify URL

I do not know the repository name neither the specified url, although I think it should be :

Index of /repositories/mozilla/openSUSE_11.1

So here I am stuck …

Could anyone help me please ?

Thank you,

W

Try this YaST > Software Repositories. In the Configure Software Repositories click Add. Select Community Repositories in the Media Type list. Select openSUSE BuildService - Mozilla. It should add " http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/mozilla/openSUSE_11.1/" to your Repository. Then open Software Management to install the new version.

And a warning. You say “and a few others”. And now you are going to add one more. You may want to disable a few after this install, to not make a mess out of your dependancies.

Thanks for your answer.

When I arrive on the screen with the List of Online Respositories, it starts with openSuse Education, then openSuse Buidservice - XFCE and ends with ATI repository, but there is no openSUSE BuildService - Mozilla.

How can I add it ?

Thank you,

W

The command line offers a simple solution:

zypper ar -f http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/mozilla/openSUSE_11.1/ Mozilla

By the way: there was no need to get stuck with YaST about naming the repository. You can name it as you please. Also the URL was absolutely correct, you can check that any time by entering the adress in a browser.

Thank you very much. I’ll try and let you know if I succeeded.

W

Then do the following

zypper dup -r Mozilla

Hello,

I keyed it in exactly as you suggested, but I get a error message :

“If only one argument is used, it must be a URI pointing to a .repo file (even remote).”

Did I do something wrong ?

Thank you,

W

You can copy and paste. But most likely you missed a space.

How can I copy and paste in an X-term screen ?

Indeed, I did not have the blank before Mozilla. So after doing this, I managed to add the Mozilla repository.

How can I now get Thinderbird version 3.0 ?

Thank you very much,

W

Please post result of

zypper lr -d

@caf: ?

Either search for Thunderbird in YaSTs software management or simply…

zypper in MozillaThunderbird

Depending on your language you might also want to install ‘MozillaThunderbird-translations-common’ or ‘MozillaThunderbird-translations-other’.

@gropiuskalle
Look what we already instructed: can’t install Thunderbird 3 - openSUSE Forums
If that had been done?

Unless you are suggesting, the OP didn’t even have it installed in the forst place:P

Oops, you are right… sorry for that!

Copy and paste to/from Konsole

Copy the text from the source Ctrl-C

go to Konsole. Select edit in menu select paste

ALT
go to Konsole press CTRL-Shift-V

I have no doubt that it works, but why all that keyboard usage?

Select the text at the source by: down left mouse button at one end of the text, move to the other end and release button. Go to destination (konsole in this case) and click mouse middle button.

mouse is my method too

Thanks very much, all of you.

I succeeded installing the latest Thunderbird version and the latest Mozilla version.

Now I’ll try to install Lightning.

This is great !

I’ll try to document this zypper-thing.

Thank you very much,

W

I jump between XP an Linux too much I just use the ctrl keys

And the middle button click never worked here. I have a strange mouse config because of a KVM switch.

Oh, is that an XP thing? I never understood why one should use the keyboard. I do this allready the X way for about 20 years.

I guess they must have build in the keyborad way for those MS Windows people who can not adapt to an easy life rotfl!