What I’m doing wrong ? :\

Here’s an example:

linux-m3s7:~ # zypper install emerald
Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...
Resolving package dependencies...

The following NEW packages are going to be installed:
  compiz-emerald libwnck libwnck-1-22

Overall download size: 449.0 K. After the operation, additional 1.5 M will be used.
Continue? [YES/no]: y
Retrieving package libwnck-2.24.1-1.16.i586 (1/3), 80.0 K (269.0 K unpacked)
Failed to mount cd:///?devices=/dev/sr0 on /var/adm/mount/AP_0x00000001: No medium found (mount: No medium found on /dev/sr0)

Abort, retry, ignore? [A/r/i]: r
Failed to mount cd:///?devices=/dev/sr0 on /var/adm/mount/AP_0x00000001: No medium found (mount: No medium found on /dev/sr0)

UPDATE :: Apearantly, software sources contained my installation DVD - removed & everything works just fine.

> Failed to mount cd:///?devices=/dev/sr0 on /var/adm/mount/AP_0x00000001: No medium found (mount: No medium found on /dev/sr0)

seems the only repository you have enabled is the CD…which is not in
the drive…

were you connected to the internet when you got that output? i ask
because i would have expected it to find the program you searched for
online…do you have the “standard four” repos enabled?

read about those in post #5 in the most excellent new-guy info digest,
here: http://tinyurl.com/6jwtg9

in there you will also find several links you will need to read…like
the one to openSUSE concepts which will fill you in on adding software…

by the way: -welcome-

platinum

Actually, I had a few more repositories enabled, tough, as far as I understand, due to priority settings, it didn’t went any further than my DVD ( which obviously was laying on my desk ).
Problem solved by disabling it ( I prefer installing software from repositories, instead of an ‘unknown’ DVD ).

an ‘unknown’ DVD
Worrying! How is it so?

Well if you have net connection then you should be able to access packages, but why are you using command line to install packages?
For new users its advised not to use commandline unless its 100% needed, use tools such as YAST which are easy to find and use.

I don’t remember myself burning it, so … for me, it’s an ‘unknown’ DVD. Indeed, why would I be worried about it - installation went smoothly and everything works like a charm ( way too easier than it was on Fedora ) :wink:

Let’s clear it up … I’ve been using Linux, especially, Ubuntu, for the past 2 years. Personally, it’s easier to install software from command line, rather than using a GUI based package management software.

Get familiar with:
Zypper/Usage/11.1 - openSUSE

Thank you - that’s probably all I need for now :slight_smile: