Can't install GRUB

Hi there.
I try to install SuSe but can’t get further than trying to install GRUB, then I get the following error:

GNU GRUB version 0.97 (640 lower/3072 uppermemory)
[Minimal BASH-like editing is supported. For the first word, TAB lists possible command completions. ANywhere else TAB lists the possible completions of device/filename.]
grub>setup --stage 2=/boot/grub/stage2 --force-lba (hd0.2)(hd0.5)
Checking if “/boot/grub/stage1” exist… yes
Checking if “/boot/grub/stage2” exist… yes
Checking if “/boot/grub/e2fs_stage5” exist… yes
Running “embed /boot/grub/e2fs_stage5 (hd0,2)”… failed (this is not fatal)
Running “embed /boot/grub/e2fs_stage5 (hd0,5)”… failed (this is not fatal)
Running “install --force-lba --stage2=/boot/grub/stage2 /boot/grub/stage1 (hd0,2) /boot/grub/stage2 p /boot/grub/menu.lst”… failed

Error 22: No such partition
grub> quit

Please, can anyone help?
:
A newbie

it seems that the partition you are saying is root does not exist

Do you have any idea how to solve the problem?

what is the output of fdisk -l? What was your intent on making partitions? Do you have a separate /boot?

Hi,
If this is a new installation, then at the Installation summary click Booting. Click the tab Boot Loader Installation. Put a check only next to Boot from Master Boot Record.

Try that and see what it does.

Hope this helps!

Ian

¿Have you tried LILO?

For some reason, grub from OS11, OS11.1 & SLED11 won’t work on my system and lilo never functioned because it is unsupported for these versions.

I had to downgrade (yet it was an upgrade for me) from these newer versions to OS10.3 with LILO, and it worked (didn’t bother trying to install grub because i was positive that LILO for 10.3 would work flawlessly as it did with SLED10).

Now i am happily exploring OS10.3 (i upgraded from SLED10) and have liked it very much, dual-booting nicely with xp for gaming.

<OF>

YES!! Installation succeded!!!
Thank you - thank you - thank you…
It worked with Ians solution and Ian, thank you for writing in a language that even a nevbie understand :wink:
OF - I didn’t get to try your solution, but thanks to you as well - I’m happy to have joined this forum.
:slight_smile:
Liz

Hey,

Glad to see you’re up and running!

Welcome to openSUSE!

Ian