Can't install dual-boot system

I’m a complete linux newbie, trying to get my first linux system going. I’m having a lot of difficulty trying to install a dual boot system with Windows 10. I’ve spent many hours today reading as much as I could, trying lots of things but I’ve finally conceded that I cannot figure this out by myself.

The issue is basically the partition setup wants to delete the Windows partition that’s already on there. I read that it’s important to install Windows first, then Opensuse. I believe in the past when I’ve tried this, on a different PC, it gave me the option to simply shrink my current Windows partition, but that option hasn’t been presented to me this time. One thing I tried was using a Windows tool to shrink the partition there, then formatting it to NTFS. Then, I’ve used the expert partition tab to try and install Opensuse on the partition that I’ve made.

I’ve tried many different things, and feel it’s not worth mentioning it all. Here are the consistent error messages that I get, no matter what I do:

“You have not assigned a root partition for installation. This does not work. Assign the root mount point “/” to a partition.”

"Warning: With your current setup, your Opensuse installation will encounter problems when booting, because you have no FAT partition mounted on /boot/efi.

This will cause severe problems with the normal boot setup.

If you do not know exactly what are you doing, use a normal FAT partition for your files below /boot/efi."

"Warning: With your current setup, your installation will encounter problems when booting, because the disk on which your /boot partition is located does not contain a GPT disk label.

It will probably not be possible to boot such a setup.

If you need to use this disk for installation, you should destroy the disk label in the expert partitioner."

"You have not assigned a swap partition. In most cases, we highly recommend to create and assign a swap partition.

Swap partitions on your system are listed in the main window with the type “Linux swap”. An assigned swap partition has the mount point “swap”. You can assign more than one swap partition, if desired."

When I tried installing it directly onto just the partition that I made without the expert partition mode, I receive a different error message:

"Warning: Your system states that it requires an EFI boot setup. Since the selected disk does not contain a GPT disk label YaST will create a GPT label on this disk.

You need to mark all partitions on this disk for removal"

I have tried adjusting the mount settings with /boot/efi, also with creating a swap partition.

I am so completely clueless as to how to do this, please any help would be very much appreciated.

I did not read the whole of your long thread. But when you have shrunk Windows, do NOT partition the free space you now have. openSUSE needs free space to install on. Any partition already there is NOT free space (and specially when there is a Windows file system like NTFS on it).

The installer will detect the free space. And when it is large enough, it will propose a partitioning of that free space (which you can then accept, change or reject).

In other words, do not prepare to much because it will restrict the installer in it’s possibilities.

And of course. Is this an EFI boot system yes or no? When it is, you must boot the installation medium also in EFI mode. When not, you must boot the install medium in non-EFI ode (which will most probably be done automatic).

Didn’t know about the NTFS, so thank you for informing me about such. Still having the same problem, though.

I’m not sure whether it’s an EFI boot-system; is that related to the UEFI system?

I’ve done some research on the matter, and I suspect the difficulties I’m having is related to my computer model; the lenovo g50-45. Forgive me for my ignorance, but I had to change some settings to enable it to boot off the live-USB. I have the option of having the “Boot Mode” at either “UEFI”, or “Legacy Support”, and “Boot Priority” at either “UEFI First” or “Legacy First”. Some information on the internet said to use Legacy Support, and Legacy First, but then I can’t seem to boot off the live-USB by doing this; furthermore, information stated to disable “Secure Boot”, but for whatever reason I don’t have this option available to me; is this important to disable? Do I need to burn a live-DVD to install Opensuse on my laptop?

Feeling quite lost as to what to do, any help and feedback would be greatly appreciated.

If the system is EFI (or UEFI for this case) then Wiindows will be installed with efi and you should set the boot mode to UEFI. EFI and UEFI are often referred to as secure boot. If you have this enabled and enough free space just follow the installer. When you are more familiar with linux you can try different set-ups if you want.
Cheers
Uli

I’ve installed Windows 10 first, and am attempting to install Opensuse 2nd; this is what I read was the best way to do it, but OpenSuse will only install itself if it formats the entire drive and deletes the Windows 10 partition.

Is it possible that I don’t have it enabled? How could I check? Am rather confused as to how to proceed here.

I haven’t installed a dual boot system for a while, but I assume not much has changed with the installer. I further assume that you have enough space for Windows 10 and openSuSE which would mean more than 200GB. After installing Windows let the openSuSE installer do its work. When it comes up with the partitioning it may show only the partitions needed for the openSuSE install, but there is a button where you click to see all partitions. There are the EFI partition, maybe a rescue partition and a NTFS partition for Windows. Then for Linux there should be a root partition (defaults to btrfs formatting) with mount point / a swap partition (somewhere between RAM size and double RAM size) and a /home partition (defaults to XFS formatting). I suggest you keep to those suggested sizes and continue the install. If you run into problems come back to this forum but then please note what partition set-up the install suggests. Don’t worry you can interrupt the install at any point before agreeing to the summary of the settings without doing anything to the hard drive.

Need to allow unpartitioned space for openSUSE to install or it will assume that you want to replace the existing OS that takes all the space

First, begin with some important information in a format we can examine.

Boot with the openSUSE Install disk, but instead of choosing install, choose Rescue System (or similar wording, I forget at this moment).

When it reaches the login prompt, type

root

and press the Enter key (that’s the key 4 keys above the “Any” key – heh, heh)

Now:

fdisk -l

(that is a lower case L, not a numeral One(1))

Copy down the output, come back here, and recreate the output in between code tags in the message editor (You get the code tag by clicking on the # icon in the editing menu at the top of your post, you will find it in 2nd row, 3rd from the right.)

Make absolutely certain you copy it accurately and when you recreate it.

That will be a good starting point for fact-based advice.