Can't get X to start in 11.2, even with vesa(WUT?!?!)

My videocard, a Radeon HD2900GT from Sapphire has some kind of legendary hate with a new-ish version of Xorg. If I install 11.1, it works fine until I get it to update (haven’t gone as far as installing it and stepping versions manually… yet). SuSE 11.2 had never even gotten past installation for me. Having recovered my tower after quite a while away, I decided to regain my linux legs as well. SuSe, as usual didn’t work. I ran to Fedora 13 and got it to work, albeit with no support for 3D acceleration. Troubleshooting there, though served as a means of reacquainting myself with the console, X, and linux as a whole. But since Fedora never managed to satisfy me as a distro, I decided to come back to SuSE and use my recently acquired tricks to try and get SuSE to at least install and boot. With the plan being to try and install flgrx once I get the chance.
After a lot of trying I managed to shut down X at installation by not installing xorg-x11-driver-video and xorg-x11-driver-video-radeonhd. This forced the configuration part of the installation to run in text mode, allowing me to get into a text system. Within that I tried then Zypping those packages back in and seeing if I could get X to start.
Then started the strange part. SuSE never had an xorg.conf, so I generated one with (#) “Xorg-configure”. I then went into the generated file, but even if I change my vga driver to “vesa” withing that one, “Xorg -config /root/xorg.conf.new” will not get X to start. There go my hopes I guess, but I’m not quite willing to give up just now. I am, however, somewhat out of ideas suddenly, and thus came to fetch some. Anyone willing to throw a few my way? :stuck_out_tongue:

Well I can’t help, but I can say you are not alone.

A read here is worth a shot.openSUSE Graphic Card Practical Theory Guide for Users - openSUSE Forums

If you have not already.

This makes no sense to me. Sorry. Guess I’m too thick.

Why not keep the xorg-x11 rpms, and just try text mode installation with something like this: Text mode install from liveCD - openSUSE Forums That should give you a GUI after it finishes.

… and if GUI fails on 1st reboot, you could do a simply X setup with something like:

cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf.install /etc/X11/xorg.conf

which may get you started with the fbdev driver, until you can load a better driver (assuming, of course, that xorg.conf.install exists).

I installed the system and it’s working, although X won’t start. But I can boot in text mode no problem and all. I’ve already “zypped” the uninstalled packages back in anyway.

That xorg.conf.install was another thing that got me a bit confused. I’m used to the usual xorg.conf, but what’s this little cousin supposed to be?

(Also:reading that guide now)

Oh yeah!

sax2 -r -m 0=vesa

Generic driver ONLINE!

The sky’s the limit now!

Well, almost, got a strange little bug now… now, on my normal boot, KDE won’t start. After x initialzes, I’m left with kind of a konsole window in the corner of my screen. However, if I boot to runlevel 3 and manually “startx”, everything works perfectly O.o

Well, installing flgrx fixed that one BUT, my card is always on overdrive and, apparently, the driver can’t understand it’s a Radeon HD2900GT, since I get the whole “unsupported hardware” business, even though that card is listed in the driver. aticonfig doesn’t work, my card is always on overdrive and I have a pesky watermark at the bottom right of my screen. Guess it’s time to move on to other threads, maybe even forums, in search of the the next fix.

Thx for helping me out though, wouldn’t be where I am if not for this thread.

Now that it is basically working install the proprietary ATI driver.

Yeah… about that… you can kinda read the post just before yours u.u