Can't connect opensuse server

Greetings.

I have a window’s pc that can ping but I can’t map the opensuse server.

my other window’s pc are able to log in and edit files etc…

where do i begin to fix the problem?

well in order to get help you should try to describe as detailed as possible your problem. I don’t understand what is the question so try to elaborate.

Information is too insufficient to find out the problem and provide solution.

However, based on the information, what I can infer is there is no problem with the server (As other Win clients are connecting).

I have come across cases where there is a need to tweaking Windows registry. The details provided in following link.
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Required_settings_for_NT4-style_domains

PS: Tweaking windows reg is generally not advisable, Please do not try until you know what you are doing and how to undo it.

Rgds
Shrivathsa.

I understand that this one windows PC (the bad guy) cannot even see the network icon for the openSUSE server, let alone burrow down through the icon to get to the shares housed under the icon. and that the other windows PCs (the good guys) can burrow down and on seeing the icon for an openSUSE share it is easy to map a share to a drive (like Z: ) in the god guys’ filesystems.

Question 1: Is that right?

Question 2: what version of windows is the bad guy and what are the windows versions of all the good guys?

Question 3: are the Workgroup names for all the good guys and for the bad guy all exactly the same name?

Question 5: please paste back here the contents of the file smb.conf located at /etc/samba/smb.conf

That should give us an environment to think about.

Thanks

Question 1 : you’re right!

Question 2 : bad guy uses windows 8.1, other guys uses 8.1 too.

Question 3 : yup the workgroup names are the same

Question 5 : how do i do that? i typed /etc/samba/smb.conf and it returns access denied.

got it.

# smb.conf is the main Samba configuration file. You find a full commented
# version at /usr/share/doc/packages/samba/examples/smb.conf.SUSE if the
# samba-doc package is installed.
[global]
    passdb backend = tdbsam
    printing = cups
    printcap name = cups
    printcap cache time = 750
    cups options = raw
    map to guest = Bad User
    include = /etc/samba/dhcp.conf
    logon path = \\%L\profiles\.msprofile
    logon home = \\%L\%U\.9xprofile
    logon drive = P
    usershare allow guests = No
    wins support = No
    add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd  -c Machine -d /var/lib/nobody -s /bin/false %m$
    domain logons = Yes
    domain master = Yes
    local master = Yes
    os level = 65
    preferred master = Yes
    security = user
    idmap gid = 10000-20000
    idmap uid = 10000-20000
    usershare max shares = 100

[homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    valid users = %S, %D%w%S
    browseable = No
    read only = No
    inherit acls = Yes
[profiles]
    comment = Network Profiles Service
    path = %H
    read only = No
    store dos attributes = Yes
    create mask = 0600
    directory mask = 0700

[users]
    comment = All users
    path = /home
    read only = Yes
    inherit acls = Yes
    veto files = /aquota.user/groups/shares/
[groups]
    comment = All groups
    path = /home/groups
    read only = No
    inherit acls = Yes
[printers]
    comment = All Printers
    path = /var/tmp
    printable = Yes
    create mask = 0600
    browseable = No

[print$]
    comment = Printer Drivers
    path = /var/lib/samba/drivers
    write list = @ntadmin root
    force group = ntadmin
    create mask = 0664
    directory mask = 0775
    guest ok = No

[netlogon]
    comment = Network Logon Service
    path = /var/lib/samba/netlogon
    write list = root

[Vakar]
    comment = vakar's folder
    inherit acls = Yes
    path = /home/vakar
    read only = No

[Boomgrow]

[Jayanthi Desan]
    inherit acls = Yes
    path = /home/jayanthi
    read only = No

[Kasturi Madhilagan]
    inherit acls = Yes
    path = /home/kasturi
    read only = No

[Nik Muhd Hanif]
    inherit acls = Yes
    path = /home/nik
    read only = No
[P]

[Preman]
    inherit acls = Yes
    path = /home/ppreman
    read only = No

[Shan Palani]
    inherit acls = Yes
    path = /home/shan
    read only = No

[Shared Folder]
    inherit acls = Yes
    path = /home
    read only = No

Good response. Thanks for info.

A couple more questions:

1. Did you set up this (somewhat complex) openSUSE server?
  2. Are you the administrator for the group of users?
  3. Do you want the openSUSE server to be and act like a full windows server
    ? Or do you want the openSUSE server to be a member of a windows workgroup?
  4. When you say you can’t see the server from the bad guy, what’s the username (in windows) that you’re using when you log on to the bad guy windows computer?

I’m trying to discover if the credentials set up in the openSUSE server were set up for server mode or in workgroup mode.

1. yes sir I set it up a long time ago.
  2. yes i am.
  3. the whole purpose of this server is for me and my organization to share files over LAN(work environment) and from our home as well. for LAN environtment, i managed it somehow but I don’t know how to make it accessible from home.
  4. the bad guy’s username is “User”…:expressionless:

Issue a: I’m not clear if the openSUSE server is intended to be a surrogate for full on windows server :frowning: or for the more relaxed server called a workgroup :slight_smile: . The two have different ways for credentials and permissions. These credentials and/or permissions control the access, and you have an access problem happening. Please tell me explicitly one or the other.

Issue b: If the bad guy computer is on local LAN we have to examine LAN issues and if it’s away in a WAN (called the Internet) we have to examine quite different issues, so let me ask this question so we can stay on track. Is the bad guy computer on the local LAN (at work where the server lives) or in someone’s home (where the server is therefore accessed in another building across the Internet)?

IMO this may be being made to be far more complex than the problem really is.

Fundamental issue:
Unable to “map” a network resource on an openSUSE server using an Windows client.

Relevant issue that will make configuring easy:
There are machines (Windows but can be any OS) which are already configured this way and can connect
(Hurray! - This should make the solution a snap)

Required:
Understanding how machines connect to network resources (in this case likely an SMB connection)
First, “mapping” is a specific type of client configuration that associates an object (On Windows, typically a drive letter) to a network resource which can be almost of any type. It can be SMB(Server Message Block) commonly used for CIFS and Windows networking shares, but can also be just about any other type connection like http or ftp.

The above is important to know because you need to determine the method of connection and the specific path, commonly called a URI (sometimes somewhat incorrectly also URL). This “path” is typically in the form of a protocol, colon, a pair of forward slashes, a servername and then the path on the server, sort of like the following

smb://openSUSE_Server/path/to/network/share

So, now you should know what you should be looking for on the machines that have working connections.

Go to a working machine,
Rt-click on a working network share or mapped drive and inspect its properties, you should see something similar to what I described above. Write that down or store somewhere for reference.

Now, go to your problem machine.
There are many ways to “map” a network resource, if this is a Windows machine and you want to set up what is working on the other Windows machines, then open up Windows Explorer (or File Manager on Win10) and find the “Create mapped drive” or similar. Depending on Windows version, you may have to Google for how to do it on your specific version of Windows. Maybe you can open up a pane displaying your existing Drives and rt-click in an empty space.

By whatever means you have opened up the “Create Mapped Drive” tool, the above URI should be typed or pasted into the path.

OK, now depending on how your openSUSE server has set up its network share, everything might be working perfectly fine now. But, if it isn’t then the problem is likely the method for authentication. In a small SOHO, you’re almost certainly not running a Domain (AD or LDAP or similar). You’re almost certainly running a Workgroup, and now you would need to understand how security is passed if it wasn’t included in the URI (one of the main security issues configuring a mapped drive is that credentials are often passed in the open). If you need to delve into Workgroup and related network shares security, post back here again.

HTH,
TSU