Cant Boot Xp

I was installing opensuse on the c partition and it gave errors so i aborted it now i click on windows and it says invalid or unsupported executable format chainloader +1 so then i proceeded to try and fix this by changing the menu.lst to this

title Windows
root (hd1,0)
savedefault
makeactive
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
chainloader +1

and now it tells me that disk isnt found so i need to know what to put in the menu.lst to load the actual windows partition and then fix the original error

You need to explain more clearly…
Do you have a working SUSE install and you can boot to SUSE from Grub, but not to XP?

When you say you started installing SUSE to C to us that would mean probably you just wrote/formatted your XP install

How are you editing menu.lst? From a working SUSE install
If so can you give us: fdisk -l
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h191KrDK-I0)

sorry for the little information
i have a working suse that loads from grub i was installing a second suse on the c drive as it had more space on it

OK In the Windows world c drive refers a a partition not a physical drive. So we are totally confused to what you are talking about. It sounds like you tried to install OpenSuse to the partition that contains the XP os. Since you can boot Linux open a console window and

become root
su -
then
fdisk -l ( that is a lower case L not a one)

post results here so we can see what you actually have.

Like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h191KrDK-I0)

Result of fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 120.0 GB, 120034123776 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 14593 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x6e42bfba

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 1 1274 10233373+ 27 Unknown
/dev/sda2 * 1275 7950 53624970 f W95 Ext’d (LBA)
/dev/sda3 7951 14594 53357568 7 HPFS/NTFS
Partition 3 does not end on cylinder boundary.
/dev/sda5 1275 4235 23776200 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda6 4235 4497 2104320 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda7 4497 5910 11348992 83 Linux
/dev/sda8 5910 7950 16392192 83 Linux

That is very odd looking to me.

Are you using Gnome in SUSE?
Can you view the contents of those windows partitions

i am using kde in suse and i can view windows files

Maybe we need to know exactly what you did “installing opensuse on the c partition” If you tried to “install” linux from a running Windows instance this can totally screwup Windows.

Try this

title WIN XP
**rootnoverify (hd0,2)
** chainloader +1

i had linux and windows installed on the second partition i then put in the opensuse installation disc and changed the partitioning to the c drive it then got to about 92 percent and then gave some errors chainloader +1 and from then on windows wont load but linux will

What do you mean by C drive? I don’t see a C drive here. In Linux the the partitions are named sdaX where X is the number of the partition. So it looks like you selected the /dev/sda3 partition and did some random partitioning to it??? And tried to install the OS to it which undoubtedly over wrote some if not all the the Windows data in that partition. So without knowing exactly what options you used I’m at a loss to know how much damage was done.

If Caf’s suggestion does not work my guess is you will need to reinstall XP.

editing the list again brought invalid or unsupported executable format chainloader +1

okay its no probs to install again as long as it wont delete current suse configuration

If you reinstall XP it will wipe out grub and you will need to repair that.

HowTo Boot into openSUSE when it won’t Boot from the Grub Code on the Hard Drive

thanks i will do it on the weekend when i have access to disc

thanks for the help