Can't boot with opensuse, windows 10 always starts

Hi

I’ts my first time with opensuse (I was in ubuntu), but I have a problem with the boot.

My pc have uefi activated (No secure boot), and I have 3 Hard disk (one for windows, one for linux and another for data)

I installed opensuse with all options in default in disk two and I put in the bios that have to boot with the linux disk, but every time I start the machine, boots with the windows disk. If I select manually the boot source (with F10 in the start), Opensuse can be started.

Is there a special option if the efi partition is in another disk? Why windows is so evil?

Which hardware? There were similar reports; apparently some vendors do it. In this case the only solution is to really replace Windows bootloader. Could you show “efibootmgr -v” output from openSUSE?

I have an HP desktop (UEFI) with Windows 10 installed and what I did was to create a new EFI partition for Opensuse to use. I let Windows keep it’s own EFI partition (labelled as sda2) and installed Opensuse 42.1 using the new EFI partition I created (labelled as sda5). At first it kept defaulting to the Windows efi partition (sda2) until I clicked on Rescan Devices at the bottom of the screen. After that it showed me the new partition setup with Opensuse using sda5 as its own boot/efi partition. I can now boot up into Opensuse or select Win 10 from the boot menu.

Just wanted to add that I created the new EFI partition (sda5) as a FAT partition, and for the / and /home partitions I used ext4.

Windows will usually try to make its boot-loader default again which means that the Linux EFI boot option “disappears”.
While in Windows, open an Elevated Command Prompt and copy/paste this command (source):

> bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path \EFI\opensuse\shim.efi

There is possibly an issue with the Leap 42.1 shim.efi – please see other posts in this (Install/Boot/Login) Forum – you may have to use a 13.2 shim.efi version.

Do you have pointer to source of this statement? This is not what many people observed.

Personal experience with a Windows 8 to 8.1 upgrade on a dual-boot EFI laptop – AMD APU and graphics – (almost) Intel free – no Nvidia . . .

Thought – it may be only an issue when Windows upgrades – but also possible with a Redmond update . . .

URL: http://www.tweakhound.com/2014/11/13/dual-boot-opensuse-13-2-and-windows-8-1-uefi/

• Scroll down to the bottom of the article.

Here I am not surprised. But you sounded like Windows does it all by itself out of blue sky.

URL: http://www.tweakhound.com/2014/11/13/dual-boot-opensuse-13-2-and-windows-8-1-uefi/

• Scroll down to the bottom of the article.

It does not say which hardware either.

Interesting. That’s what has been working for me with a Dell Inspiron 660. That is to say, a second EFI partition.

I had a discussion with somebody using an HP, who tried that, but it didn’t work. But maybe telling the BIOS to rescan devices is what does the trick (that was not needed on my Dell).

Yes, I had this problem with a Dell Inspiron 660.

However, it is not really a Windows problem, at least in my case. It is a BIOS (UEFI firmware) problem. The BIOS doesn’t see any reason to have more than one UEFI boot entry. So it deletes all but the most recent. Windows notices that it’s boot entry has been deleted, so it puts it back. And then the BIOS deletes the opensuse entry since the Windows entry was the most recent.

The solution to this, at least for the Dell Inspiron 660, is to have a separate EFI partition for opensuse. Apparently the BIOS doesn’t mind keeping two boot entries, as long as they use distinct EFI partitions.

I did recently run into a related issue. The BIOS seems to think that a UEFI boot entry that hasn’t been used for a long time should be deleted. I was booting Windows from the grub menu. And it looked as if the BIOS deleted the WIndows boot entry (after around 6 months of only booting Windows from grub). Windows put its entry back, but made it the first in preference.

Since then, I have made a point of occasionally using the Windows boot entry (either F12 on boot and select that entry, or “efibootmgr -n 0001” from opensuse to boot Windows next (windows happens to be entry 0001 on my system). I’m hoping that will persuade the BIOS not to delete the Windows entry.