cant boot after install

Hi
i install leap 15.2 on my pc with is in 15.1 , i don’t format existing partition

after install i have the menu but i got the error message : can’t find command initrdefi can’t find command linuxefi

i cant acces to command line or grub , but i dont know why i can use to solve the problem
regards

This is strange, because the grub2 in Leap 15.2 does support linuxefi and initrdefi if installed for UEFI booting.

I’ll make a guess:

(1) You installed for legacy MBR booting instead of for UEFI booting; even though your computer is capable of UEFI.

(2) Because you did not reformat for the install, the settings to use “linuxefi” and “initrdefi” are still there from Leap 15.1, where you did use UEFI booting.

Best might be a reinstall, and this time do tell the installer to format the root partition.

Alternatively, you might be able to boot your system this way:

(1) on the boot screen, hit ‘e’.
(2) that should give an edit window. Scroll down until you find a line that starts with “linuxefi” and change that to “linux”. The next line will begin “initrdefi” and you should change that to “initrd”. Then use CTRL-X to continue booting.
(3) if that works, you can edit “/etc/default/grub” (as root). Look for the line that begins “GRUB_USE_LINUXEFI” and comment that out by inserting ‘#’ at the start of the line.
(4) regenerate your boot menu

grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

hi thanks a lot for your answer
i will try soon

i can said il have test to update and so repair the installation but i got and error message " root partition in /etc/fstab have a incorrect root pperipherique mounted in /dev/md/volume… none "

my partition correct with 15.1 is /dev/system LVM 0.75 TiB
/dev/system/home LV
/dev/system/swap swapLV
dev/md/volume0:1p1 PV system
/dev/md/volume0:1p2 ext4 root /
/dev/md/volume0: p4 EFI

I don’t want to format / because i have a lot of data like my web server
best regards

I will tell you the result
best regards

The best way to handle that is with an upgrade rather than an install without formatting.

Perhaps that advice is too late. But keep it in mind next time.

i know that i began with an update , but i got a lot of problem and i can’t get a solution. so i try install , that s the way i use when i have trouble with update proces

may be i can try also to format the efi partition
i will tell you , i am trying to install with the grub on mbr instead ou grub efi

regards

Hi
I have try with installation on MBR but i got the same error message "… initrdefi … linuxefi

may be this will help you :
when i start installation i got the following message :

the volume group /dev/system is incomplet because some physical volume are missing
the volume group will be deleted later as part of installation process

I will try your command
regards

(1) You installed for legacy MBR booting instead of for UEFI booting; even though your computer is capable of UEFI.

(2) Because you did not reformat for the install, the settings to use “linuxefi” and “initrdefi” are still there from Leap 15.1, where you did use UEFI booting.

Best might be a reinstall, and this time do tell the installer to format the root partition.

Alternatively, you might be able to boot your system this way:

(1) on the boot screen, hit ‘e’.
(2) that should give an edit window. Scroll down until you find a line that starts with “linuxefi” and change that to “linux”. The next line will begin “initrdefi” and you should change that to “initrd”. Then use CTRL-X to continue booting.
(3) if that works, you can edit “/etc/default/grub” (as root). Look for the line that begins “GRUB_USE_LINUXEFI” and comment that out by inserting ‘#’ at the start of the line.
(4) regenerate your boot menu

great !!! thank’s !!! you are my best friend !!

everything work , the problems I had with update are solved , i did’nt loose my web file and database

MERCI !;):wink:

I’m glad to hear that.