Can't boot 586 installation ISO

The boot process gets fairly far along but ends in a kernel panic in resume_userspace().

I’ve tried this with the last two NET iso’s:
openSUSE-Tumbleweed-NET-i586-Snapshot20170322-Media.iso
openSUSE-Tumbleweed-NET-i586-Snapshot20170324-Media.iso

It can boot the 686 live iso just fine.

The machine is known to be reliable, boots Windows, FreeBSD, and Debian just fine. It is, however, a Pentium 3.

Is Tumbleweed 586 compiled to be dependent upon the sse2 instruction? I would expect from the name that is it not, or that if it were the 686 version would also be - but I cannot find any documentation about the compiler flags used to build it.

Any clues or further information would be appreciated!

Default %optflags for i586 have “-march=i586 -mtune=i686” and for i686 - “-march=i686 -mtune=i686” (other options are the same). Look in /usr/lib/rpm/rpmrc.

Thanks for the information about the compiler flags. It’s tricky to figure this out without a running machine - the boot log streams by so quickly it can’t be seen. The panic is happening somewhere near where systemd-udevd gets going, at least from a comparison with the successful boot process of the 686 iso.

Meanwhile, the 686 iso’s boot fine, bring up X and are quite nice.

Although it is not recommended, it is possible to use one of the 686 iso’s (the live or the rescue iso’s) to do an install?

All this will be much clearer to me once I can get a system up and running to examine, but right now it’s an interesting but opaque black box.

Ok, the problem is that the x586 install disk is now set to use FIPS, and the FIPS object file probably is built using sse2 assembly code. So, if I am correct (and it’s hard to know for sure since I have not yet installed opensuse yet), it is not currently possible to use a tumbleweed 586 install disk on a Pentium 3 or older processor that does not support the sse2 instruction set.

The solution is to rebuild the install iso. One needs to extract it, open the initrd file, and remove the two files .libcrypto.so..hmac and .libssl.so..hmac from /lib in that archive. Rebuild the archive, rebuild the iso with that new archive, and it will boot and bring up the installation screen.

That’s as far as I’m going tonight, but it looks as if it will work.

Interested in seeing how this works out. Keep us posted.:wink:

The installation ran last night successfully to completion, so the fips issue was the only thing preventing the install iso from working correctly. It will be interesting to look over opensuse, and I’ll spend the next few evenings doing that.

Thanks for your interest and support.

Care to file bug report?

https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1032165