Can't access NAS over wired connection

This is a new problem that has popped up recently for me - and I’m not sure why.

I have a Buffalo Linkstation NAS drive connected to my network.

IP address is assigned by DHCP but in my router I have assigned a static IP bas on its mac address.
The address is 192.168.1.30

with a wireless connection on openSUSE 13.1 / KDE I can access the nas over samba and over ftp

However, if I disconnect the wireless connection and plug in a cable for a wired connection - internet works perfectly for me but when I try to access the NAS via samba I get

internal error
please send a full bug report at . . .
unknown error condition in stat: no route to host

if I try to connect via ftp I get “connection timed out”

unplug the cable and connect via wireless and I can connect right away.

I have a raspberry pi in the network (wireless) than can connect to the nas without problem.

I’ve tried deleting the wired connection and adding a new one to no effect.

using the KDE network manager.

I really don’t know where to start to troubleshoot this.

Anybody have any ideas?

Many thanks

  1. It would be useful if you start with a full picture of the IP configuration
ip address
netstat -r
  1. Can you ping the NAS when connected via wired ethernet interface?

However, if I disconnect the wireless connection and plug in a cable for a wired connection - internet works perfectly for me but when I try to access the NAS via samba I get

if I try to connect via ftp I get “connection timed out”

unplug the cable and connect via wireless and I can connect right away.

From your description, I also wonder if a stale router ARP table is at play. Easy to check by rebooting router, and seeing if behaviour has changed.

I suspect this may be the reason - but rebooting did not resolve the issue.

I remembered that I updated the DD-WRT firmware a couple of weeks ago on my router.
I tried doing a hard 30/30/30 reset but again the problem still persisted.

Rolled back to my quite old 2011 DD-WRT firmware and problem solved. I think I need to stick with the firmware I know that works until I update to a newer router.

I initially suspected something in openSUSE because a week or two ago I removed the router from my system and was trying to get an internet connection by plugging my computer directly into the ONT, so I thought I might have inadvertently changed something then.