Canon PIXMA MG 2550

I bought this printer today. Installed IJ printer drivers from
http://www.canon.co.uk/Support/Consumer_Products/products/Fax__Multifunctionals/InkJet/PIXMA_MG_series/PIXMA_MG2550.aspx?DLtcmuri=tcm:14-1087895&page=1&type=download
and Scangear drivers from
http://www.canon.nl/Support/Consumer_Products/products/Fax__Multifunctionals/InkJet/PIXMA_MG_series/PIXMA_MG2550.aspx?DLtcmuri=tcm:16-1087188&page=1&type=download
Installed them as root.

My openSUSE version is 13.1 64 bits.

I’ve managed to install the printer drivers, but at the end I’ ve got a message saying something like : Cannot detect printer, use lpadmin.
But Yast / Printer does see a printer and I’m able to print. Also http://localhost:631/printers/canonmg2500series does work.
My problem is : Yast / Scanner is not able to detect a scan device.
I hope somebody knows a solution. I would be very grateful.

‘ve managed to install the printer drivers, but at the end I’ ve got a message saying something like : Cannot detect printer, use lpadmin.

But Yast / Printer does see a printer and I’m able to print. Also http://localhost:631/printers/canonmg2500series does work.[/QUOTE]
When did you get that error? (eg while configuring with YaST,…?)

My problem is : Yast / Scanner is not able to detect a scan device.
I hope somebody knows a solution. I would be very grateful.

Canon devices are unusual in that the not only provide proprietary drivers, but the ‘scangearmp’ application for scanning too. Is that what you’re trying to scan with? IIRC, you may need to be a member of the ‘lp’ group for user-access to the usb interface.

When did you get that error? (eg while configuring with YaST,…?)

I got the error message while installing the drivers in the terminal.
This is the error message :

./install.sh
Password: (You have to log on as root)

Canon Inkjet Printer Driver
Version 4.00
Copyright CANON INC. 2001-2013
All Rights Reserved.

Command executed = rpm --test -U ./packages/cnijfilter-common-4.00-1.x86_64.rpm
pakket cnijfilter-common-4.00-1.x86_64 has already been installed
Command executed = rpm --test -U ./packages/cnijfilter-mg2500series-4.00-1.x86_64.rpm
pakket cnijfilter-mg2500series-4.00-1.x86_64 has already been installed
(I installed the drivers for the second time)
#=========================================================#

Register Printer

Next, register the printer to the computer.
Connect the printer, and then turn on the power.
To use the printer on the network, connect the printer to the network.
When the printer is ready, press the Enter key.
> (I hit the Enter key)
Searching for printers…

Select Printer

Select the printer.
If the printer you want to use is not listed, select Update [0] to search again.
To cancel the process, enter [Q].

1. Update

Could not detect the target printer.

Currently selected:[0] Update
Enter the value. [0]
Connect the printer, and then turn on the power.
To use the printer on the network, connect the printer to the network.
When the printer is ready, press the Enter key.
> (I hit the Q key)

I also got this error message when i first do
su
and then
./install.sh

Is that what you’re trying to scan with?

I try to add a scan device in Yast / Scanner, which isn’t able to detect any scan device.
I also try to use the program Skanlite, which comes with an error : No SANE scan device detected.

IIRC, you may need to be a member of the ‘lp’ group for user-access to the usb interface.

I added the group users to the group lp but it didn’t help.

Okay, I don’t use the install scripts generally. Instead, I simply navigate to the packages directory and install the .rpm files using the package manager. Anyway, it sounds like printing is all good.

I try to add a scan device in Yast / Scanner, which isn’t able to detect any scan device.

That doesn’t surprise me. Anyway, it’s not necessary to use the YaST utility to configure your scanner.

I also try to use the program Skanlite, which comes with an error : No SANE scan device detected.

No, AFAIK you have to use ‘scangearmp’ for your Canon scanner. It’s just one of the things I dislike about the way Canon support their hardware.

I can’t find scangearmp nowhere on my computer, but Yast / Softwarecenter shows the drivers are installed properly.
Is it recommendable I remove all the drivers and install the .rpm files manually by Package Manager ?

Report back with output from

rpm -qa |grep scangearmp

The scangearmp application is part of the ‘scangearmp-common’ package. You might try launching from a terminal with

scangearmp

Problem solved :
The manual says : Scanning goes by GIMP. And it works ! Thanks for all your efforts !

Yes, ScangearMP provides both the application and gimp plugin. Anyway, good that you can scan now. :slight_smile: