CANON MG5220 Printer Driver For Opensuse 11.3 or 11.4

Has anyone found a driver for Cannon MG5220 Printer ?
I found in a post that Canon

I downloaded the Debian and the RPM and tried to install

No Luck.

Thanks

You can’t use debian installers in SUSE, because we use .rpm

Do you know how to install a .rpm manually from a terminal?
It’s possible that you need additional packages installed before it will install.

To try installing it
Open a terminal in the directory where you save the .rpm (I see it’s an archive, so it will need extracting first, did you do that)
Now do this

sudo rpm -ivh <package_name>

Hi mfinnus

In an effort to assist you, I just downloaded the rpm tarball from:

MG5200 series IJ Printer Driver Ver. 3.40 for Linux (rpm Packagearchive)

I’m not sure where you got stuck, so lets start from the top

1. Open a console (terminal window), change directory to where you downloaded the tarball. In my case that was ~/Downloads, so
cd ~/Downloads
  1. Unpack with
tar xvzf cnijfilter-mg5200series-3.40-1-rpm.tar.gz

Now you should have a folder called ‘cnijfilter-mx320series-3.10-1-i386-rpm’ with the relevant files contained within

1. There is an install.sh script in that folder which will take care of the driver installation and printer config for you. So connect the printer, and change the current working directory to that where install.sh is located. In my case
cd ~/Downloads/cnijfilter-mg5200series-3.40-1-rpm

Execute the script with

./install.sh

It will prompt you for your root password (if you’re not root already). Follow the prompts given.

I don’t have one of these printers to test with, so I’ll leave it to you to test. Report back when done. Good luck.

Hi deano_ferrari

First thanks for taking the time and going thru the installation and posting here so the not so knowledgeable members can benefit from it. I did follow everything that you posted here, step by step and the outcome is below. How do I get that missing package? What do I need to do now?

Canon Inkjet Printer Driver Ver.3.40-1 for Linux
Copyright CANON INC. 2001-2010
All Rights Reserved.

==================================================
Command executed = rpm -Uvh ./packages/cnijfilter-common-3.40-1.i386.rpm
Preparing… ########################################### [100%]
1:cnijfilter-common ########################################### [100%]
Command executed = rpm -Uvh ./packages/cnijfilter-mg5200series-3.40-1.i386.rpm
error: Failed dependencies:
libpng12.so.0 is needed by cnijfilter-mg5200series-3.40-1.i386
Command executed = rpm -e cnijfilter-common

On 2012-06-06 15:06, arodlinux wrote:

> error: Failed dependencies:
> libpng12.so.0 is needed by cnijfilter-mg5200series-3.40-1.i386

Well, you need to install libpng12. What’s the problem?

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

Install the missing package first

zypper in libpng12

Thanks to Deano and Carlos (robin),

I did try to install libpng12 before posting the first post. However, I was unable to do so. I found that the problem was that because I recently installed version 12.1 it needed an update. After updating the system and rebooting then I was able to install libpng12 without problem.
Therefore now I have a working printer. Thanks again to the openSuse community! lol!

Worked for 12.2 also. Thanks for the nice tutorial!

Glad it helped you! :slight_smile:

This works for the printer function in openSUSE 13.1 also. Still trying to figure out the scanner.

I was able to get the scanner to work in 13.1. Downloaded ScanGear MP from MG5200 series ScanGear MP Ver. 1.60 for Linux (rpm Packagearchive). Ran scangearmp from the terminal and the app went out and found the scanner over wifi. I need to figure out how to turn this into a shortcut now.