Canon ImageCLASS MF4150 printer driver

Here is an exerpt from the Canon web site that had the RPM:

Linux Printer Driver (UFR II) Ver.1.70E

Last Updated : 30-May-2008
Issue Number : 0100093001
OS

* Linux

Detail

Thank you for using the Canon UFR II/UFR II LT Printer Driver for Linux. This UFR II/UFR II LT printer driver provides printing functions for Canon LBP printers operating under the CUPS (Common UNIX Printing System) environment, a printing system that operates on Linux operating systems.

I guess I assumed this was for the Linux operating system that would be under both Fedora/Red Hat AND openSUSE/SUSE. I guess you are saying there is a requirement in openSUSE for the install package to be further tailored…

I went into YaST Control Center & clicked on Configure Printers

I could see my printer but it was NOT associated with a driver - I clicked on my driver.

At the bottom of the YaST2 display there was three boxes & the Enable Printing was NOT checked.

I checked Enable Printing & then ok & I got a modifying print configuration.

Then I get a Printer Configurations display showing printer ready

I did a print test & got this:

/usr/bin/lp: not allowed to print

I believe my printer driver IS installed correctly & I had failed to define the printer to YaST - I only had defined it through the CUPS Manager.

So now how do I fix the ‘/usr/bin/lp: not allowed to print’ error

I went to these web sites:

YaST/Modules/Printer - openSUSE

HCL/Printers - openSUSE

My Canon MF4150 laser printer is NOT on the list. I have to assume this is why I get the error:

/usr/bin/lp: not allowed to print

So my next question is since my printer DID work on the Fedora distro with CUPS - would be be possible to allow my MF4150 laser printer to run on openSUSE?

This afternoon I hacked the YaST printer definition & our printer started printing. The bottom line is the Canon Linux driver worked after I somehow satisfied the YaST printer definition…