Cannot update

Hello everybody,

I use opensuse 10.3 with KDE 3.5

It’s been a couple of hours since I started an update with the update desktop applet. It’s been a month or two since I last updated my system, though I don’t think it’s normal; the update is stuck at 0% for hours.
The CPU usage is always at about 50%, so I guess there must be something going on…

Do you have any ideas what’s going on? Any additional info needed?

Thanks in advance for your time
  • geo909,

trying to update through Yast directly may give you some more info (or will plain work :wink:

Uwe

When it comes to massive updates, I find that using the software install in YaST itself to update things to work a lot better. Try that and see how it goes.

If you have the internet connection for it, look for the zzzAll package group, right click a package on the left and find upgrade > all in this list. That is usually what I do.

Also, from your other thread, don’t forget to make sure you get the Amarok update. :wink:

Hi again, thanks a lot for your replies in both my threads!

So I tried to update with yast and I saw what the problem was,
there were (there are actually) some dependency conflicts which I didn’t manage to solve… I was also afraid to take serious steps when resolving like “delete this” etcetc.

Btw, Is it just me or there is a dependency hell when it comes to installing and updating? 1 in 3 times I try to install something, there is always a problem. Also, I found the package system in Suse extremely super-slow (at least in comparison with ubuntu and debian that I’ve been using for a while)

Anyway, don’t want to start a comparison thing or something and of course suse is one of the most popular distros around and there is a reason for that, but I was sort of disappointed with the package management and updating stuff…