Cannot start Plasma5 after upgrade to 42.1

I upgraded from 13.2 to 42.1. Now, sddm doesn’t start. I switched to using xdm, but even so Plasma5 doesn’t start.
I get “Could not start ksmserver. Check your installation”

This is the content of the .xsession-errors-:0

Loading stage  "initial" 1166
startkde: Starting up...
kdeinit5: preparing to launch 'libkdeinit5_klauncher'
Could not open klauncher using a library: Cannot load library /usr/lib64/libkdeinit5_klauncher: (/usr/lib64/libQt5Network.so.5: undefined symbol: SSLv2_server_method)
kdeinit5: Launched KLauncher, pid = 2923, result = 0
Qt: Session management error: networkIdsList argument is NULL
Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
kdeinit5: opened connection to :0
kdeinit5: preparing to launch 'libkdeinit5_kded5'
kdeinit5: Launched KDED, pid = 2925 result = 0
kdeinit5: preparing to launch 'libkdeinit5_kcminit_startup'
kdeinit5: Launched 'kcminit_startup', pid = 2926 result = 0
Qt: Session management error: networkIdsList argument is NULL
Module "kcm_style" was not found or does not actually have a kcminit function
Module "kcm_input" was not found or does not actually have a kcminit function
Module "kded_touchpad" was not found or does not actually have a kcminit function
Module "kcm_access" was not found or does not actually have a kcminit function
Module "kcm_kgamma" was not found or does not actually have a kcminit function
kdeinit5: Got SETENV 'KDE_MULTIHEAD=false' from launcher.
kdeinit5: PID 2926 terminated.
kdeinit5: Got KWRAPPER 'ksmserver' from wrapper.
kdeinit5: preparing to launch 'libkdeinit5_ksmserver'
kdeinit5: (ksmserver /usr/bin/ksmserver) Pipe closed unexpectedlykdeinit5: Pipe closed unexpectedly: Resource temporarily unavailable
kdeinit5: PID 2931 terminated.
KInit could not launch 'ksmserver'.
startkde: Could not start ksmserver. Check your installation.
kf5.kded: Could not load kded module "powerdevil":"The shared library was not found." (library path was:"powerdevil")
kf5.kded: found kded module "statusnotifierwatcher" by prepending 'kded_' to the library path, please fix your metadata.
kf5.kded: Could not load kded module "ksysguard":"Plugin verification data mismatch in '/usr/bin/ksysguard'" (library path was:"ksysguard")
kf5.kded: Could not load kded module "networkmanagement":"The shared library was not found." (library path was:"networkmanagement")
kf5.kded: Could not load kded module "accounts":"The shared library was not found." (library path was:"accounts")
kf5.kded: Could not load kded module "printmanager":"The shared library was not found." (library path was:"printmanager")
kf5.kded: Could not load kded module "kscreen":"The shared library was not found." (library path was:"kscreen")
kdeinit5: Got EXEC_NEW '/usr/lib64/libexec/kf5/kconf_update' from launcher.
kdeinit5: preparing to launch '/usr/lib64/libexec/kf5/kconf_update'
kdeinit5: PID 2933 terminated.
startkde: Shutting down...
kdeinit5: terminate KDE.
klauncher: Exiting on signal 1
QDBusAbstractAdaptor: Cannot relay signal KDEDModule::moduleDeleted(KDEDModule*): Pointers are not supported: KDEDModule*
startkde: Running shutdown scripts...
startkde: Done.

And how did you upgrade?

Your Qt5 installation seems to be broken:

Loading stage  "initial" 1166
startkde: Starting up...
kdeinit5: preparing to launch 'libkdeinit5_klauncher'
Could not open klauncher using a library: Cannot load library /usr/lib64/libkdeinit5_klauncher: (/usr/lib64/libQt5Network.so.5: undefined symbol: SSLv2_server_method)

Please post your repo list:

zypper lr -d

The problem is somewhere in the KDE repositories. After removing those repositories, at least it opens the session now. A lot of other stuff doesn’t work, but I’ll post that in the relevant forum.

To be sure, I went through enabling/disabling the KDE repos a couple of times, and every time it wouldn’t log in with the KDE repos enabled. I guess they’ll work it out over time.

Still need to see the repo list. In any case yiou should not have mixed version in the repo list.

Which “KDE repositories”?
KDE:Frameworks5?
Hm, I have no problem with that on 13.2…

But during the weekend, KF5 was updated to 5.16.0, and Plasma to 5.4.3.

Did you do a full switch to the repo?
Otherwise you might have some incompatible mix installed.

OTOH, you don’t really need it for Leap at the moment.
The latest versions will be released as official updates, it just takes a bit longer…

I don’t know about the future update policy though, i.e. whether Plasma 5.5 will be available in the standard update repo to or not (that won’t be a bugfix-only release).

This is my current list of repos. The KDE repos are currently disabled.

#  | Alias                       | Name                              | Enabled | GPG Check | Refresh | Priority | Type   | URI                                                                                                   | Service
---+-----------------------------+-----------------------------------+---------+-----------+---------+----------+--------+-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+--------
 3 | KDE_Applications_5          | KDE Applications 5                | No      | ----      | No      |   95     | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Applications/openSUSE_Leap_42.1/                       |        
 4 | KDE_Frameworks_5            | KDE Frameworks 5                  | No      | ----      | No      |   95     | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Frameworks5/openSUSE_Leap_42.1/                        |        
14 | openSUSE Current OSS        | openSUSE Current OSS              | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | No      |   98     | yast2  | http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/openSUSE-current/repo/oss/                                  |        
15 | openSUSE Current non-OSS    | openSUSE Current non-OSS          | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | No      |   98     | yast2  | http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/openSUSE-current/repo/non-oss/                              |        
16 | openSUSE Current updates    | openSUSE Current updates          | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | No      |   98     | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/update/openSUSE-current/                                                 |        
18 | repo-update-non-oss         | openSUSE-leap/42.1-Update-Non-Oss | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | No      |   98     | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/update/leap/42.1/non-oss/                                                |        

I removed other repos from the list that have been disabled for a long time and were not enabled at any time during this upgrade.

OK.
As I said, you don’t really need them at the moment.
The slightly newer packages that are in there at the moment (KF 5.16, Plasma 5.4.3, KDE Applications 15.08.3), will be released as official update for Leap 42.1 as well.

But just to be clear here:
Just disabling the repos doesn’t change your system.
You need to run “sudo zypper dup” to switch back to the standard packages.

And the same applies the other way:
to switch to the versions from those repos, you should enable them and then do a full switch, either with “Switch all system packages to the versions from this repository” in YAST, or with “zypper dup --from KDE_Frameworks_5” (and/or KDE_Applications_5).
Otherwise you might end up with an incompatible mix, and problems.

Yes, I ran “sudo zypper dup” after enabling/disabling the repos.
I’ve been using opensuse since 2010, and I’ve been upgrading this laptop I think from whatever was the current version in July 2012.

In any case, if the version in the KDE repos is going to end up in Leap, I’m happy to keep the list of repos as it’s now. Thanks a lot!

2012?
The current version was 12.1 back then.
Upgrading directly to Leap 42.1 is completely unsupported and untested…

I’ve been upgrading to the latest version since then.
I think it was 12.1 -> 12.2 -> 12.3 -> 13.1 -> 13.2 -> 42.1 over all these years. I’ve always upgraded to latest within 1 month of release, as I need a current set of libs for my work.

Hate to say this but each upgrade leaves a little junk, config files, etc from the previous version this may be fine for a while but at some point those old files will no longer work right so a new install is called for to clean out the crud. Leap is truly a leap with some very fundamental changes. Upgrades may or may not work even for single jumps. The more upgrades you have done lower the chance of success. If using a proprietary video driver it should be removed before an upgrade for best results.