Cannot install opensuse 12.3 on SSD

Hi guys,

I try to install opensuse 12.3 on my desktop computer, but it failed.

The hardware configuration is:

motherboard: asus z8na-d6c
cpu: Intel L5630 (2)
memory: 24G
hard drives:
1. OCZ 90G as swap and system
2. WD 1TB as home
wireless network adapter, usb mouse and keyboard, Ti 550, no DVD.

I made a boot disk using flash driver. When I install OS, the window exits to command line and shows:

[sda] write protect is off write cache: enabled, read cache:enabled, doesn’t support DPO or FUA.

I do not know what I can do the next.

Thanks.

Peng

So off hand, I am not sure what is wrong. openSUSE tries to create new space for the install, but there are partitioning limitations which require you to take hold of the partitions, and manually set them up on you own.

Thank you

Thank you for your reply. There is a windows 7 using NTFS on ssd. Should I format it first?

Provided you don’t want to keep that partition then it won’t hurt to format the disk first (for an SSD a secure erase is better). If you give SuSE a blank disk to start with it removes the chance of confusion over whether to dual boot etc.

Ah, this is sth. new, you should have told that right from the start.

If windows 7 occupies your SSD - how could you install another system on that SSD ?

Do you want to keep windows 7 or not ?

It should be possible to install openSUSE on your WD hard disc,
if you want to keep windows 7.
Of course you then wouldn’t benefit of the speed of the SSD.
At least that should work.
Some steps before an installation still are necessary or recommended
(like a backup of at least the important data on your hard disk).

At the beginning, my intention is to use opensuse to format ssd and wd. I already backup them. I will try it again tonight. BTW, is it possible to make dual boot on ssd? Thank you.

Any hard disk can be dual boot, SSD or not. The main issue with SSD is cost and size, ofter much smaller than standard hard disks. Also using a MBR formatted hard disk, there are partition number and boot limitations and Windows 7/8 both try to use two of that limited number. The answer to your question is yes, you can dual boot with a SSD as long as you understand what you are doing.

Thank You,

it is possible to dual-boot if you do it right.

first thing first, for windows 7 and/or 8 you need at least 20 GB Hard disk space.
I usually do at least 40GB if I can (I mean I had installed windows on a laptop with only 20GB HDD but not a good move IMHO)

1st. boot into windows and check the partitioning from windows disk manager. (goto: Start and right_click on computer than select manage, select disk manager under storage.)
you need this info :
– how many partitions do you have?
Usually in win 7 and up single install you would have at least 3 partition shown there for C:
a very small boot partition some thing in the area of 30-40MB (might not be there if post OEM install or non EUFI BIOS) , a several GB “RECOVERY” partition (might not be there if post OEM or custom install)
the rest of the HDD space might be used by a primary system partition that fill the whole drive space
or you might have the space split between primary system partition and an extended partition(s).

for each of this you will see a Capacity(total size) and Free space.
WRIGHT THIS DOWN!

I will assume you have a single main partition used by windows for simplicity but if not you will need to come up with some better strategy.
also if have time I would dump all . reformat the SDD and begin from scratch.

now, if you still can boot to windows and all is working there, and you got the info we need.

if you are ok with working in Linux, boot a LiveCD, (I prefere to use GUI as much as possible if I can )
go to GParted.
select your SSD.

select your main partition (leave all other boot and recovery partitions be)
using Gparted resize the partition to what ever you like. but make sure you still have some breathing room on it.
apply changes.

create a new primary partition to use with Linux.
take note of all the sizes
2 things to remember(especially if you doing things from scratch), if dual booting with windows you must use MBR so do not change disk format or anything.
2 do not take up all space on the disk at this time as you might need this for some thing else later, like a swap partition or something.

if you want to rebuild from new, install windows first, make sure it is running and all than install Linux.
if installing windows first it will ask you to partition the drive during install, do a manual setup and choose the size of the system disk that you want to use. in your case since you have a small SSD go for about 30GB
leave all other space empty.
after windows is done, install Linux and add partition(s) you want to the end of the disk.

That is great!!! I will do it later.

It still does not work normally. There is a internal video card on the motherboard. Usually, I do not use it. I install a Ti 550 on it. When I install opensuse, it cannot show the graphic interface. I have to use text tools of yast to create partitions. After I reboot machine, it does not work, but I can login using safe mode. So I try to find video driver online. Unfortunately, my network adapter is wireless - TrendNet tew-684ub. I did not find any driver for linux online.

Do you have any suggestion for the issue? Thanks.

Go to yast -software repositories add the NVIDIA repo go to yast software management search for NVIDIA add the NVIDIA driver. reboot now your graphics should work

Unsure if you can get to the Internet. You were not clear about that. If you need a driver for the wifi temp plug into the internet to get what you need. Also you may want to go to Yast and see if you can configure the card

The computer cannot access Internet due to wirless card. I try to find driver for it using another one but it does not work. Some pages gave me the chipset driver of the card. After I run it, the issue is still exist. :-((

What chip set? normally you just need a package from packman.

It is TRENDnet 450 Mbps Dual Band Wireless N USB Adapter TEW-684UB (Black). I try to install rt2800usb (http://wikidevi.com/wiki/TRENDnet_TEW-684UB, http://wikidevi.com/wiki/Ralink). But it does not work.

AFAICS rt2800usb is already part of the kernel, so no need (and no use) to install that from somewhere else

Please post output, between CODE tags, of

lsusb
lsmod | grep 2800
ip addr
dmesg | grep 2800 | tail -10

Mind, the adapter has to be connected

Plus: how did you configure the networking? In Yast - Networkdevices - Networksettings - General Overview. If the wireless card has to be user operated, the setting needs to be set to Networkmanager.

Thank you for your reply. I am busy currently. So I will do it at weekend or later.